Author Topic: Memorial Day Weekend with Ranger  (Read 19602 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Memorial Day Weekend with Ranger
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2005, 12:34:04 pm »
Baloo is a doll! Welcome Alisa.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2005, 12:35:28 pm »
He certainly has gotten big!  :)

dohertyswissy

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2005, 03:38:36 pm »
Hi Alisa!  Yahoo!!  Another Swissy owner!  Baloo is SUCH a cutie!!!!  We looked at a Swissy with one blue eye, but ultimately decided on Ranger, due to his temperament.  Swissys are WONDERFUL!  Can't have a house without at least one from here on out!  Ranger is my first Swissy.

I'd be more than happy to help you in anyway I can!  As I'm sure you know, Swissys are notorious for slow potty training!  At about 6 months, Ranger starting understanding that the entire house, not just his crate, was his "den" and that he wasn't supposed to go potty in the house.  We were fortunate, like you, that it was only pee in the house....but, MAN!  When he did pee, it was ALOT and I called it the "travelling pee" because he'd walk around and pee at the same time.  ARGH!  Somedays I thought if I had to clean up pee one more time, I was going to throw myself out a window! Just hang in there, b/c at 6 months, you should have a little bit more leadway as to when to let him out and they can hold it a lot longer.  They'll still be some accidents, but they are not nearly as frequent!  Ranger is now 8 months and we have few to no accidents.  It is a relief!

As far as food goes, we are currently feeding him Iams Large Breed.  It is the only food that we found in our area that has the proper amounts of protein, fat, etc. that was recommended by our breeder.  Yes, I was the big dork that read every freaking bag in the store!  However, there has been some negative things flying around about Iams, so I am researching that.  Also, we do a partial raw diet.  No raw meat, cooked only and plenty of veggies, yogurt, etc.  We found that the raw meat gave him some bad poops and it just sketched me out.

Don't know if you are doing puppy obedience, but I highly suggest it.  It was a great way to socialize Ranger and get him used to obeying commands in the midst of chaos!  Also, Swissys tend to be a little shy and wary of new things, which is good, but Ranger was very wary of people and other dogs.  After obedience class, he was much more friendly.  Of course, he is still protective, but knows that if Mom says this person/thing/dog is okay, then it is!

I just love it when they spread out on their backs!  It is so funny to see Baloo doing that too!  Ranger is up to 93 lbs and he STILL does it!  It just takes up ALOT more room!  LOL!  Actually, I'm in North Carolina...but .....I've actually thought about possibly moving to Texas, so I'd love to hear about your home state!

Feel free to send me a personal message or chat here through the forum. 

Heather  :)

Offline jamyj

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Dogster
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2006, 08:40:21 pm »
Ranger is beautiful.  I love large dogs and really considered a swissy, but ended up with a dogue instead (two of them, plus the boxer we already had).

You mentioned the raw diet.  I also do a partial raw diet where I give them raw in the morning and kibble at night.  Yes, the raw meat at first will make them have runny poop, but it will go away.  If you limit the amount of fat and skin it helps a lot.  Mine do really well with chicken, and I can get quarters for .43/lb at wally-world.  Since I have started this my 3 dogs are more energetic and have much better teeth (my 3/yo boxer had quite a bit of yellow and now has just a small speck left on one tooth).  I am not a "fanatic" or else I would be doing completely raw, but I do feel following natures course is the right way.  I also give fish oil for healthy skin, coat, and heart.

I don't feed any veggies or fruits, other than occasional small amount of table scraps.  I follow the "prey model" diet and believe dogs in the wild would not be eating much corn, carrots, or potatoes.

Hope this may help a bit.  Any questions email me at jamydotjohnson@usdotarmydotmil   (spelled out).

LOVE YOUR DOG!!!!
The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs!

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2006, 01:57:02 pm »
"Traveling pee" that is great!  Well, it sucks, but the name is great!  I am so glad to hear that someone else suffered with this.  Boudreaux would do this with no warning...no whining, no circles, no sitting by the door, no sniffing...jus t walk and pee.  ARGH!  We cleaned the carpets and the dogs this weekend so I am REALLY hoping the "traveling pee" has traveled elsewhere!
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2006, 05:10:59 pm »
That's so funny that I just saw this thread.  I just started researching Swissys.  I was thinking that this would be my next dog at some point.  Of course I'll have to stop adopting my fosters to be able to get a Swissy.  I even ordered some books about them.  Thanks for all the information too. 

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline burnsie

• Gnawer
  • Emmett
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2006, 09:18:24 am »
Wow, this is such a familiar pose.  Emmett loves to lay like this!! 
-B

dohertyswissy

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2006, 08:12:31 am »
Hey y'all!  I'm glad to see that this post got resurrected at some point and you guys are lovin on my big guy! 

I'm in and out of here quite often, so any questions or if you need funny stories about Swissys, let me know!

Thanks for the info about the raw diet too, JamyJ!