Author Topic: BigPawPedia Wiki Support Thread  (Read 6001 times)

Offline bigpawsadmin

• Michael~
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Dog Chomper
  • This is Bear
    • View Profile
    • Website - www.michaelandjaime.com
BigPawPedia Wiki Support Thread
« on: May 31, 2005, 08:51:07 pm »
We have just officially launched our BigPawPedia – a Wikipedia specifically for our big dogs. For those of you that are unfamiliar with what a Wiki is, I’ve included an introduction (defined by Wikipedia.org):

"Wikipedia is an encyclopedia written collaborativel y by many of its readers. Lots of people are constantly editing and improving Wikipedia, of which is recorded on the page history and the Recent Changes page. Nonsense and vandalism are usually removed quickly."

We chose to include some kind of database of breed information because we found that our readers could use a reference of some kind in their dialogue. Wikipedia became a natural choice as everyone is able to contribute what they know and understand about the breed that they are familiar with. Less formality, more reality. It also seems to lend well to the intelligent but candid nature of the BPO body of members.

Now the only thing we ask is that we preserve the integrity of the HTML when making edits. We’ve organized it with a table structure and have inserted most of the basic data like weight, height, etc. Descriptions of the breed however is wide open. If you are familiar with HTML, you’ll notice two comment lines near the bottom of the code which looks like:

<!-- Enter Description Between This Line -->

<!-- And This Line -->

If you would like to contribute but don’t want to dive into the Wiki yet, just post it here or send your contribution directly to us at support@bigpawsonly.com.
For more information on the Wikipedia, visit www.wikipedia. org.

Just trying to keep the bugs off the board!

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: BigPawPedia Wiki Support Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 09:27:27 pm »
huh :-\
Peggy

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 10:15:58 pm »
I know....Michae l tends to be a little technical sometimes. Here is my explanation which is much simplier (I think):

The Wikipedia, BigPawPedia for us, is a dog encyclopedia that will allow anyone to get information about a breed on B.P.O. by simply clicking on the link on the hompage.  I have gone through the AKC site and a few others to get the standard for a few basic commonalities that all of our dogs have like color, height, and weight. I have also found information about each breed like their general temperment, where they were originally created, and what they were first used for as a breed. I think that it will be very helpful to people so that they can see what the dogs look like (pics are to come), a description of them, and other pertinent information you may have wondered about. It is helpful because now you can look up a breed and find out about them without having to search the internet. The BigPawPedia also includes information on the breed group so that if you were interested in a certain breed, you would know what group traits the dog has.

Finally, this is the most current and accurate form of a dog encyclopedia because it can be updated as often as possible by as many people as possible. You will have full access (if you want) to add information to this BigPawPedia as it pertains to your specific dog breed. For example, I own a Newf (as you all know) and put information about the Newfs from the AKC website. It lists the height and weight for the dog in general. My dog however, is almost exceeding the wieght limit for the standard so I can edit it to make it a more accurate portrayal of the breed. I know that many of you also have dogs that aren't listed in the AKC guide or whose actual characteristic s are a bit different from what they have stated, so for those with dogs who don't fit into the mold, you can edit the BigPawPedia to make it more "B.P.O. accurate". It is meant to represent the actual dogs we own and not just words according to a standard.

I hope this helped to make it a bit more clear. Let me know if you still need further clarification.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

nickerbokker

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 10:33:28 pm »
holy crap you guys go above and beyond ANYTHING ANYONE COULD EVER HOPE FOR!

you guys are the coolest ever!  thank you oh so much for creating BPO!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 10:49:24 pm »
Really very neat, thanks a million guys, I know you must spend hours and hours working on this. I think I can speak for all of us on here, we are totally in love with this place and you wont get rid of us anytime soon. It is without competition the nicest site out here.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

nickerbokker

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 10:51:10 pm »
oh my gosh, i cant imagine what i would do if i was asked not to come back.  i think i would die.  im not kidding LOL.  my dogs would LOVE it, cuz i would get my arse on the ground and roll around more, but HEY, thats why i have two dogs, so i dont have to play with them!  this is just the best site out there!

Offline Serena

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 08:08:12 am »
 :D This is a great Idea!! Thanks so much! Hugs, Serena ;)

Offline Liberty

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 05:27:08 am »
Is this the site for it? Where can I find it?
Roxy
Saint/Newf mix

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 08:08:45 am »
When you go to the homepage of BPO it is on the left side, topish/middle and says BigPawPedia in large letters. If you want to get there from this page though just click on Grizzly's pic (the dog on top) and you'll be back on the homepage.
Hugs,
Jaime

dohertyswissy

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 08:18:17 am »
Some of the "official" breed websites can tend to be a little intimidating, but this is a great way for us to share information about our experiences with the furkids!!  What a cool idea!  I'm excited!!!! 

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 08:20:27 am »
Hello,

I have a suggestion/question: can you make it so that when a user clicks on the "take me to the paw prints" on the page of the specific breed they are researching it will take them to a sorted list of that specific breed only?  So, if I click on the encyclopedia entry for rottweiler and read the description, I can then click on take me to the paw prints and be linked to the paw prints of the rotties only.  This would be really great!  But, everything is great as it is, too. :)
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2005, 12:01:38 pm »
I like your idea moonlit..... That way people would have all the doggies that have their pawprints here, right there, so they can take a look at the ones that are reg. here. I like that idea a lot. Hmmmm  :P Wonder if Michael thinks its a wonderful idea too  ::)

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005, 12:11:13 pm »
That is a great idea but may take a little while to get that up and working. I'm sure Michael will like it too...so consider it added to the "to do" list.  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2005, 09:32:57 am »
That's a great idea guys, I love it.  This is such an awesome site keep up the good work :)

waffles717

Re: Just want to tell you one more thing Fyi Got Saint Barnard's!!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2005, 08:30:07 am »
Hi There this A True funny story,I was living with my girl that had Two Saint's Little heowy and Big Bozzer,So Know Let's see if any one Her can see Why he Get's His Name, Well That Day My Very Best Friend Laurie was moving so She asked me to Watch Her Dog Know I was a Teen,and I had one of those's V,W,car,Well my,Friend says tie him up to the Bumper,Well The Next Thing We Know Was I No Longer Had A Bumper But Boozzer was Fine He Found The Chicken!!!! I Alway's Rememer those Dogs the most Lovable,,and so Dazle!And It Only took me 28 year's so i am I trury Happy For This I Was Tell My Husband He Could not Believe it Till He Saw it For him self This is A Most Pleasent Animal Saint Bernard!!! Love Mary Lee!!!!! :-* :-* :-* :-*