Author Topic: "I don't allow MY dog to socialize"....  (Read 8940 times)

Offline Magnus

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
"I don't allow MY dog to socialize"....
« on: April 23, 2006, 08:52:14 pm »
So Lisa, the girls, and I decide to go to PetSmart Sunday and take Stan out to meet people,and friends and to get weighed. As we are walking in this woman is at the cashier with her dog behind her on a fairly loose lead basically blocking the entry way. We begin to walk in and I being the responsible dog owner keep Stan at my side and get this lady's attention. Still doesnt turn aroung so I start to talk to her dog when she turns around and pulls the dog to her after she sees Stan.  I ask nicely if her dog is friendly and if Stan could say hi and she says, "well yes he is but I dont allow my dog to socialize".

I was taken back because, A. you bring your dog to a pet store where other people and dogs come, B if you are so concerened about your dog keep it better controlled on a lead.

I know its not a big deal but she mad it seem as  though WE did something wrong. People are so f-in arrogant.

BTW Stan is now 70 well behaved pounds.
StanLee- American Mastiff
Julie- Rottie
Steve- Pug/Jack Russel
Neeko- My old rottie friend waiting at the bridge

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: "I don't allow MY dog to socialize"....
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 11:22:34 pm »
Why do these people insist on taking unfriendly dogs to these stores?  We went to Pet Quarters on Saturday with all three dogs to get a dematting comb (worked great, thanks for the advice by the way).  There was a woman with a big Golden Ret standing by one of the displays by the door.  McDougal immediatley swerved in her direction-still about 5 feet away mind you- and the retreiver went NUTS!  I mean teeth bared growling, snapping, just crazy!  And the woman had the nerve to glare at us, like we were at fault!  We had to wait about 20' behind the woman and dog at the register because the dog was so awful.  It was mean to the cashier too and the woman didn't even apologize.  Why are people so rude?
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 01:23:03 am »
Some people!   >:(

Although I'm guessing in Stan's case, she just said that as an excuse.  She probably just didn't want her dog socializing with the big scary looking dog.  I mean, why would you take your dog to a pet store if you didn't want it to socialize or meet others?

but, I've gotten the same reaction with Gunther.  People who are there w/o their dogs come up and want to see him and meet him, which is fine with me, the more the merrier.  but if they have a dog with them, they go out of their  way to avoid us like the plague.  and my two are VERY well behaved in pet stores........ .except when we get to the register b/c they know there are cookies there.....lol.  In fact, I will put them in a down/stay, drop their leashes so I can get their bags of food in the cart and they have never moved, not even when other people come down the aisle.

Offline Magnus

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 01:30:24 am »
I forgot to add that as we were leaving, a woman w 4 kids is coming in and sees Stan and puches her kids to the opposite side that we were. My wife was so offended she was going to say something to the lady. I mean, he's a big puppy but we have an 8 and a 10 yo girl with us who obviously arent afraid of him.
StanLee- American Mastiff
Julie- Rottie
Steve- Pug/Jack Russel
Neeko- My old rottie friend waiting at the bridge

Offline Proliant

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 02:54:12 am »
I got that reaction once when Goliath was about 8 months old .... the cashier girl came out almost at once and told the other lady that Goliath was the best behaved puppy in the store and she should let her dog play with him. I guess that was because we are there almost every week, but it is indeed the truth. I would say to just worry about your own dog and the people that are "the right ones" will come to you.

Matthew and Goliath

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 09:51:05 am »
Yeah Kali gets the cold shoulder by people since she's gotten big.  I mean wow she's such a big vicous dog spralled out across the floor sleeping waiting in line at the register ::).  I mean people will do a 20ft radius to avoid her while she's sleeping!!! I also have noticed people will generally come up to say hi but those with dogs tend to go the other way.  She did get to say hi to a cute really little lab puppy.  She loved him and he thought she was the coolest thing ever.  The newfy people always make a beeline for her though and don't mind the drool so she's ecstastic when she meets them.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 12:24:35 pm »
I was in Petcetera.  And there was this dog in the middle on an aisle I wanted to be in, I start talking to it.. Cider sniffs a little and all of a sudden *SNAP*

Dog was on a flexi leash out to its max while the nasty owner was an aisle over.  Her and the stunned dog from being thwaked back to it's owner come over and she screams at me for letting my dog near her agressive one.

Hi.  Petstore.  Your fault, your dog shouldn't be here.  And My dog is stuck 4-6 ft from my body max.  Yikes.
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 08:16:41 pm »
People can be weird. 99% of the reason I take mine into PetSmart is to socialize them.

Lisa

« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 12:12:13 am by DixieSugarBear »
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 08:31:05 pm »
People can be weird. 99% of the reason I take mine into PetSmart is to shocialize them.

Lisa

Amen to that, so do we, and if we don't do it enough Bava will let us know, he will lay down by the car door and refuse to get up until you open that car door.  That boy loves to ride and go places.

We haven't really had anyone scared of Bava, I can't think of anyone avoiding us, in fact this is weird, but Bava picks up stalkers.. we have had a lot of times strange women follow us around staring at Bava, maybe calling his name, etc.   This has happened several times, but people will follow him around the store or wherever we are at.  If I were a single guy, I'd say Bava is a chick-magnet.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 08:31:45 pm by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 08:49:19 pm »
Haha Kali was trying to pick up a group of blonds for my brother the other day at Uconn but what's the funny part is she tends to be more of a guy magnet.  All the times I've had her out of the car at school it's been guys that have come up to say hi to her.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2006, 04:28:54 am »
Haha Kali was trying to pick up a group of blonds for my brother the other day at Uconn but what's the funny part is she tends to be more of a guy magnet.  All the times I've had her out of the car at school it's been guys that have come up to say hi to her.

Sadie is a guy magnet too. She flirts shamelessly. Women tend to be more grossed out by all the drool. Maybe Kali was just trying to hook your bro up. :)
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

GR8DAME

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2006, 04:52:34 am »
Dale had more luck with the girls when he took the kids out alone than with the dogs.
His "chick magnet" is his Scooby Doo tatoo. They squeal and squirm, and run their hands up and down his arm to touch it. I however, am his "chick Repellant." And I do enjoy my work, LOL
Stella

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2006, 05:01:19 am »
When I was doing distraction training I didn't allow Earnest (my Lab/DaneX)to socialize on-lead, and I took him to Petsmart to practice. I still don't allow him to "say hello" on the leash, my feeling being he's supposed to be paying attention to me on lead, not looking for buddies.  But I didn't block the aisles or the doors, either, and I was polite about saying "I'm sorry, he's in training, he's not allowed to say hello".
Last week we took both boys to Petsmart, Earnest has a few months left on his Banfield contract, and he needed a bordatella shot. We always take them on their 18" traffic leads, with their prong collars. I use a flexi everywhere else, but a long lead is not appropriate IMO, in a store.
So my son Levi (14) and Phyfe, my St./OEM X went looking around the store.  Levi was standing near the end of an aisle, with some people gathered around talking about and petting Phyfe. This guy with a Border Collie approached, stopped about 12 feet away, and let the BC run out the flexi lead. The BC started growling at Phyfe and Levi. Phyfe is in no way dog aggressive, but he's VERY protective of Levi, that's his job. So he let out a HUGE roar and wrinkled up his face to show that BC how much bigger his teeth were. The passersby took off, I don't blame them, Phyfe with his face all bunched up is really scary. Levi kept his head and did just the right thing, he said "Phyfe, let's go" spun Phyfe around and walked off in the opposite direction.  The BC owner hollered after him "Just 'cause he's big doesn't mean he's tough, my dog could beat yours any day" pretty bad when the kid is more mature than a grown man. A worker did check to make sure Levi was ok, and came to the vet's office to apologize. They asked the BC owner to leave, he got huffy and tried to blame Phyfe, but the people who had been looking on saw the whole thing, and defended my boys. We've had stuff like that happen before, usually it's Phyfe that gets the bad rap, just because he's so big, and his roar is so loud and scary.

Nicole

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2006, 05:08:58 am »
When I was doing distraction training I didn't allow Earnest (my Lab/DaneX)to socialize on-lead, and I took him to Petsmart to practice. I still don't allow him to "say hello" on the leash, my feeling being he's supposed to be paying attention to me on lead, not looking for buddies.  But I didn't block the aisles or the doors, either, and I was polite about saying "I'm sorry, he's in training, he's not allowed to say hello".
Last week we took both boys to Petsmart, Earnest has a few months left on his Banfield contract, and he needed a bordatella shot. We always take them on their 18" traffic leads, with their prong collars. I use a flexi everywhere else, but a long lead is not appropriate IMO, in a store.
So my son Levi (14) and Phyfe, my St./OEM X went looking around the store.  Levi was standing near the end of an aisle, with some people gathered around talking about and petting Phyfe. This guy with a Border Collie approached, stopped about 12 feet away, and let the BC run out the flexi lead. The BC started growling at Phyfe and Levi. Phyfe is in no way dog aggressive, but he's VERY protective of Levi, that's his job. So he let out a HUGE roar and wrinkled up his face to show that BC how much bigger his teeth were. The passersby took off, I don't blame them, Phyfe with his face all bunched up is really scary. Levi kept his head and did just the right thing, he said "Phyfe, let's go" spun Phyfe around and walked off in the opposite direction.  The BC owner hollered after him "Just 'cause he's big doesn't mean he's tough, my dog could beat yours any day" pretty bad when the kid is more mature than a grown man. A worker did check to make sure Levi was ok, and came to the vet's office to apologize. They asked the BC owner to leave, he got huffy and tried to blame Phyfe, but the people who had been looking on saw the whole thing, and defended my boys. We've had stuff like that happen before, usually it's Phyfe that gets the bad rap, just because he's so big, and his roar is so loud and scary.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAY PHYFE!

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2006, 05:32:19 am »
If a dog is in training I fully understand.  It's just the people who fully admit their dog is a problem and let them still socialize whether they 'meant' to or not..

I guess Cider is a guy magnet.  I was walkign Cider on a busy street, she pooped, I go to clean it up and I get three different cars of guys hollering at me tellign me I'm hot and stuff.  Man, I was picking up POOP!
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~