Author Topic: Teaching to "come"  (Read 1663 times)

Offline KhubiLove

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Teaching to "come"
« on: April 23, 2006, 08:56:51 pm »
Does anyone have a technique that worked to teach their pup to come, reliably?  Khubilai is pretty good without distractions.  Once you add a few dogs, though, he loses all interest in coming when I call him.  He's still fairly young, and could care less about treats or squeaks when there are other dogs around!  Thanks-Amanda
Izabel - Kitty
Khubilai Khan - Great Dane

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
Re: Teaching to "come"
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 09:00:12 pm »
Use a long line and pull them into you.  When they get to you enthusiastical ly reward them and tell them how good they are etc.   Let them get distracted and forget about you, and then call their name and tell them to come and then pull them into you.  My pups picked it up really fast this way.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 09:04:19 pm by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

MommyOfSchnauzers

Re: Teaching to "come"
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 06:43:45 am »
Another idea for you... teach your dog to "touch".  This is where they have to touch their nose to your fingers.  Sometimes when my girls are playing or are distracted... the generic "Come" just doesn't get it.  But if I say "touch", they come running.  Because it gives them something specific to "do".  If you want this to be a reliable thing though... you have to teach it slowly.  For about a week, various times during the day, hang your hand down beside you, say "pup's name touch"  and YOU just touch your nose with your fingers.  Then give a treat with the other hand.  Switch hands often always giving a treat from the other hand.   After about a week, start making them stretch just a little "puppy touch" and if they need reminder, just wiggle your fingers a little bit.  But always make sure that after you have given the command, that you touch their nose and reward.    Then week after week stretch it out further and further!

Not kidding, my pups can be chasing each other playing like wild and I can say "Dazy, Ladybug, Touch" and hold my hand down beside me,and they will both come flying to me.  It gives them a job to do.  ;)