Author Topic: Testing Intelligence  (Read 3361 times)

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Testing Intelligence
« on: June 01, 2005, 12:51:35 am »
I am in the mood to start a new thread and I recalled a trick someone taught me a long time ago.  They told me that you could tell how intelligent a dog was by placing a rubber band on a dog's head.  If the dog mmediately brushed it off, it was very intelligent.  If the dog stood there with the thing on its head and stared at you, then he or she was dumb.  Now I had two dogs at the time, one was smart and one was dumb (come on now you must admit we have all had one of those).  The trick worked perfectly.  My daughter's dog left it on her head and my daughter said (welll I TOLD her not to shake it off).  My dog immediately shook it off.  Please test this and let me know, maybe we can use the test for Urban Myths. 
Peggy
Peggy

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Testing Intelligence
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 01:09:16 am »
Marit, I told you it is probably an urban myth.  hmmmmm Maybe I should try it on my husband.  Wait a minute he is bald, will it still work ??? Lets hear from other people and maybe it will settle our anxieties.

Peggy
Peggy

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 08:10:19 am »
Even though I'm not at home and can't test this theory out right now, I bet that Bear would pass this test. He hates things on his head! That said, I don't think it qualifies as a true intelligence test because he has walked right passed treats (more than once) and stared at the object he was supposed to get and still couldn't find it. His sniffer doesn't always work and neither do his eyes....does this mean he is dumb too?? Maybe his rolling down the hill the other day affected his mind...hmmm... ..
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 08:23:26 am »
So, do we lay it on their head or do we put it around their head?  Because when I put it around Leo's head he looks like he just had a face lift and when I just lay it on his head he holds really still like he's waiting for what comes next!  Hey, this is fun! ;D

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 09:03:10 am »
Well it works in the case of my pooches. Abbey shook it off immediatley, Hutch just stood there wagging his tail... Again I will say it, Abbey is the brain, Hutch is the brawn!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 01:02:20 pm »
Samson shook it off 4 times in a row immediatly...B ut, I am sure he thinks I'm dumber than a brick because I came running up the steps into the kitchen & did it & kept telling him what a smart & good dog he was!...He looked at me like "WHAT A MORAN"!...lol!

Offline shi_ni_ke

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 03:32:56 am »
I actually heard it was a towel over the dogs head.
I don't think it is really a test of intelligence but of temperment;
some dogs could just care less if the towel is there.. hey why make an effort if I can lay here in peace and go back to sleep and nobody is bothering me. I think that is actually the smart dog...