Author Topic: PLEASE help!! Advice needed!!  (Read 4127 times)

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
PLEASE help!! Advice needed!!
« on: April 25, 2006, 08:26:54 pm »
Oh boy….After a weekend of no problems I woke up again to having to clean diarrhea.  This time it was in my daughters room- I had gotten up to let her out (As normal) and then when I went to take a shower I put her in my 14 year olds room because I didn’t want to have to crate her. 
My daughter said she heard me and my son outside…and refused to do anything but pace…pant and whine at the door and that is where she had the diarrhea.  :o

So….I took a fecal sample by the vet this morning.  Just got off the phone and everything checked out clear there. ???  The vet did suggest that we brink her by tomorrow and let her take a look- but she was not sure that she would find anything different then when she just saw her less than 2 weeks ago.

So in the conversation the vet assistant suggests the possibility of it be stress related.   She DOES hate to be separated and becomes “anxious” in an unfamiliar situation. (Even after us going to great lengths to socialize her!) All the other times she has had the accidents its been at night when she was crated (Which she hates)  and then this morning, as mentioned, my daughter indicated she didn’t want to be in the room and was acting silly about it.

So… at this point I will drop her off at the vet in the morning just to make 100% sure nothing is going on there but after that I will admit I am at a total loss.  If it is stress related I don’t know what more we can do to pacify her.  The fact is there are times she WILL have to be crated…although I have made that situation as comfortable for her as I know how and its limited.  And unfortunately there will be times when she needs to be in a separate room other than where she wants to be. 

I am so confused and frustrated.  :(  This is the SWEETEST and best dog we have ever had.  We have worked SO hard with her and she is trying…yet this is something that just can’t continue. 

Any help and or advice GREATLY appreciated!!
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASE help!! Advice needed!!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 08:33:50 pm »
Hmmm it does sound like an anxiety type of thing.  Have you tried giving her kongs to occupy her in the crate while your gone.  It may help distract her.  I'm not sure what else to try besides maybe Rescue Remedy or another calming supplement. 
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 09:34:32 pm »
How old is Kuma?  I went to your pawprint and it appears that she is still quite young.  While crate training her did you leave for very short periods (like 5 - 15 minutes) then come back let her out and reassure her?  Then a little longer, etc?

My springer had a similar nervous condition except she would sit and drool - alot.  She would be soaked and smelly when we got home not pleasant.  We tried putting t-shirts with our scent in the crate (she didn't eat them).  Putting the crate in our bedroom (again for scent).  finally we realized she would be happy looking out the window so we built her a raised crate.  She was better then.  Still not happy but better.  Finally at about 2 years old we slowly let her stay out of the crate.

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 09:46:40 pm »
Kuma was four months on the 17th. 
We did try several options for making the Crate more pleasurable for her.  Now, although she is not happy about it...she will go in it and I use different toys, her "blankie" and leave the TV on Animal Planet for her comfort.  :D  (No lie...really I do!)

I will say I was a bit suprised when she did it in my daughters room this morning.  She was not in her crate and was with one of her favorite people...but I supposed because she was pacing it was not where she wanted to be at that time?? 
I don;t know....so frustating!
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline CujoandShamus

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 10:08:10 pm »
Shamus is about the same age and flips when he is alone.
The main one is if he see me go outside he will bang on the door and bark and or whine.The BM thing he has gotten over , but when I some home he greats me with running circles around me as if to say I missed you.
He doesn't even like to be in a room alone. I don't crate him though. I let him have run of the house and he usually only destroys his toys when I am gone.

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 11:31:59 pm »
Hi,

Ok what about making a recording of you and the family on a tape. You can play the tape, make it a long one, just leave the recorder running while you watch TV or dinner or something. Then turn it on and throw a t-shirt or 2 (used ones not freshly laundered) into Kuma's crate with the tape and hopefully Kuma will associate the voice and smell with you being there.

Also when crating (actually releasing Kuma from the crate) you have to make that as UN eventful as possible. Maybe come home put your coat away or the groceries, then open the crate and ignore Kuma (I know that is really hard to do) but if you love on KUMA evey time you let him out he associates the crate as a bad place. If you just open and go about your business the crate is just another room.

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 11:46:01 pm »
I would re-introcue the crate.. take it away for a day or two, move it into a different area after a day or two... and start making it the best place in the house

You should even feed her within her crate... give her favorite toys in the crate etc... and you have to be happy when she is going in there

I would then start her on a rigid schedule but 100% consistant so she learns what is going on and when it will happen..

Remember, she is a dog and dogs do best on schedule and babying the problem wont make it easier on her...

Put some soft music on when she is in the crate...  If you feed her in there, after she is done, let her out to go bathroom etc...

and then stretch is out time wise as she grows

I bet she has anxiety and that is why she is pooping just like the vet said...but if you are not calm and relaxed then your pup wont be either
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 04:44:11 am »
I agree with Babs.  Sounds like stress.  Was there any loud talking or arguing outside the door while she was in your daughter's room?  maybe loud music or something?  any kind of disruption to his routine and Einstein gets the runs (like when roofers or repairman are around).

The crate is the den -- and dogs are supposed to feel safe in their crates.  If your pup learns to feel safe there, then she'd probably escape to it whenever she feels threatened or insecure.
Sarah

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 06:53:46 am »
  Have you tried giving her kongs to occupy her in the crate while your gone.  It may help distract her. 

Our trainer told us to pack a kong with canned dog food & freeze it, then give it to our dog while we were gone. It really keeps them busy & they LOVE getting the food. Although, if it is a problem with diarrhea, I guess you would have to make sure it is a canned version of the brand you are already using.

Poor Kuma. I'm sorry that you are dealing with this. I hope that you are able to find something that works soon.
Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 09:05:59 am »
I don't have any advice on the diarrhea as we've never had it caused by stress or separation anxiety.  I did want to say, though, that we've had great success at making Sheba's crate a really safe haven for her.  To the point that we don't even have to close the door now ... we just say "in" and she goes.  We often encourage her into the cage during the day or just when we're home and around, so she can see or hear us ... and it seemed to help her understand that it was her space, and only hers, in the house.  Her pillow and blanket are in there ... befitting for the queen that she thinks she is!  :D

We keep both dogs in the basement during the day while we're gone, and we leave classical music on for them.  Our vet told us that if you can distract the dog for the first 10 minutes after you're gone, they're generally alright until you return.  We used the kong to do this with both dogs, and it worked. 

All the very best with working out your baby's issues!
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 04:32:14 am »
We keep both dogs in the basement during the day while we're gone, and we leave classical music on for them. 
All the very best with working out your baby's issues!

my breeder uses classical music to calm their newfie pups down too!  and they usually fell asleep after minutes of listening to it! 

beth! i am soo sorry to hear about your little girl!  i have to agree that it sounds 'stress' and anxiety related.. hmm.. what to do to make her feel secure?? there are some things you can get too put in water and treats that you can get to calm her down. just to help her relax.  my grandma uses one that goes in the water for her shih tzu and it has helped considerably!  but i'm not sure about the health effects and kuma being so young.. soo hmm.. scratch that one! 

anyone know about that comfort zone thing that you plug in??? that might be an option..
have you tried calling your breeder?? they might have some advice to help you too!  i wish there was some other advice!  good luck! 
(and i still leave animal planet on for fumblE!  or sometimes i leave "full house" gotta teach the big guy some good moral values!  always loved those "awwws" at the end of the 30 minuteS of Dj, Stephanie and michelle!)
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 04:33:58 am »
i just found this link.. maybe it could be helpful!   ???

http://www.wagntrain.com/SeparationAnx.htm
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!