Author Topic: Newf potty help  (Read 12560 times)

Offline Liberty

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Newf potty help
« on: June 01, 2005, 05:31:49 am »
HELP!!!
I have a 10 week old newf/saint mix. I am trying to house break her but she has her own ideas. I was trying to do it without a crate and just confining her to a 4x 8 area with outside access. She just doesn't get it!
If I get a crate, what should the day look like?
Thanks
Roxy
Saint/Newf mix

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Re: Newf potty help
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 06:01:55 am »
First off, you have many,  many, many months before she will be fully and reliable housetrained.  My Mastiff still had occasional accidents until she was 10 months and she was crate trained.  My Newf mix caught on at 4-5 months and hasn't had an accident since.  I believe in crate training but that is all I have ever known.  I think it is a personal preference.  I kept a hawk eye on my guys when they were little so who knows if they are truly housetrained or just go outside so much they might as well go potty while they are there. :P
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 07:45:24 am »
I wish I could offer words of wisdom on this but I can't. Bear has never been crated or kenneled and was almost 100% potty trained in 2 weeks. He is a very fast learner and loves to please. I'd say just keep an eye on your baby and take her out regularly and consistnetly until she gets the idea that potty is for outside only. Also, give lots of praise when she does go outside. Keep us posted on how things go.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 08:50:10 am »
Crates work pretty well, but a small fenced in area was what worked for us.  Another good idea to do is feed your dog in the enclosed area.  Dogs don't like to do their business where they eat and sleep.  Bottom line, you have to be patient.  There will be more puddles and piles in your future, but it will end eventually.  Good luck!
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline luvmenewfs

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 02:56:42 pm »
I was taught that you roll up a newspaper and everytime the pup has an accident in the house...
you hit yourself in the head with the rolled up paper.
 ;D

At ten weeks...pups pee a lot.  when the first wake up, when they move around a lot, when they drink, when they walk a ways...they have NO control over pee yet.  We were lucky because our fellows potty trained very easy.  Any accidents after the first week at home we're our fault for not paying attention.

We would run the pup out every 30 minutes for the first day and say..."Pee, go pee" and if our pup happened to...we praised!!  And yes, also late at night.  We'd wake the pup up every two hours and go outside.  Once the pup pee'd, we'd take the pup to the same spot.  They can smell the pee and it will sometimes trigger the need.
We used a crate at night but set our alarm.  The crate was in our room.  We use a crate because we want our dogs to get used to being in a crate while traveling.  Their safe area.  Plus, in our room means they are a part of our pack.  It's all a matter of personal choice.  But We swear by crate and the safety of the crate!

After the first couple of days, we learned about when the pup would pee.  Also what the pup would do when ready to pee!  Even if puppy starts to pee, you can yell, "NO NO NO NO" and it will distract the pup while you snag up the puppy and run outside!!  Where they sniff around, take a minute and then remember what they were doing to begin with. 

ROTFL!  Okay, so a couple of times a pup didn't stop peeing the entire time I or the hubby were picking it up and running to the goal line!!  Oh well, it cleans up!

But we were lucky and had success after a couple of weeks as long as WE kept an eye on the pup and were consistent.

Offline jabear

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 03:18:28 pm »
Night time potty parties...I sure don't miss those. I was up with Bear every 2 hours or so for the first few weeks just to make sure he didn't have an accident.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

nickerbokker

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 03:20:37 pm »
well angus STILL wakes me up 2-3 times a night.  sometimes cuz he has to pee, sometimes cuz he's bored.

Offline Liberty

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 03:51:11 pm »
O.K.  Let me just say that you guys are way too funny!! :D
We have only had her for 2 weeks and I do get up with her a couple of times in the night. She seems to be getting the B.M. part of going outside. For the most part (or at least 45%) of the time she does go out to pee. We leave the back door open all day for her. I guess I know that it will take a while but it is just one of those things that you want to happen NOW!!
We had a Saint Bernard who was trained after like the 4th day we had her! She was soooo smart and our sweetheart! We had to send her to the rainbow bridge on May 1st. She would have only been 4 on June 3rd. She had idiopathic epilepsy ( grand mal cluster seizures) every 4 or 5 months that would last a span of 36 hours (10 to 12 seizures) every time. She was on 2 different meds for that. She was also on a thyroid med. She was then diagnosed with Addidsons Disease. She would have to be on more meds for that. Her quality of life had deteriorated rapidly until she could no longer stand up on her own. We are still mourning her loss But Roxy, our new baby Newf/Saint mix makes us laugh and makes us smile when we look at Liberty"s picture now. Liberty is at the bridge hopefully telling Roxy to BE GOOD!!! I really DON"T want to use a crate because she is such a social animal and wants to be with me ALL the time. She even follows me into the bathroom!! My children did that when they were little! All you moms out there,Remember when you had NO PRIVATE TIME!! Thanks for all your suggestions. I will be done with school next week and can totally devote my days to the BABY!!
Roxy
Saint/Newf mix

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 04:06:54 pm »
You have a Newf/Saint Mix?  Does she look anything like a Leonberger?  Please post a pic if you haven't already, I would love to see what Roxy looks like.  Sorry to hear about Liberty, I didn't read your earlier posts about her condition.  I hear all the time about epileptic dogs, it seems like a common problem.  My friend's dog had epilepsy but didn't have seizures very often.  She ran away on every 4th of July when the fireworks would go off.  While they were gone one year watching fireworks, they tied her up so she wouldn't jump the fence.  She had a seizure and ended up strangling herself on the rope she was tied to.  Very sad....   It is a scary condition and I'm am thankful that Drake doesn't suffer from it. 
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Liberty

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 04:44:37 pm »
Here she is!!
Roxy
Saint/Newf mix

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 06:37:56 pm »
Sweet little puff ball! :-*
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 06:45:11 pm »
She's a beauty!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2005, 08:38:44 pm »
What a sweet looking little girl.  I know what you mean by being able to look at the photos and smile.  I lost my dear sweet Rosie in July of 2004. Today at work Sugar Bear was laying in one of Rosie's special places. It made me cry and laugh all at the same time.  The new babies will never take the place of the one you loved but they do make a place of there own in your heart.  I would not have belived after the loss of Rosie that I could love my two new babies so much, but I do.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline jabear

• View Profile