Author Topic: Newf potty help  (Read 15464 times)

Offline luvmenewfs

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Newf potty help
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2005, 02:24:32 am »
 ;D ;D

Very adorable!!

Offline Liberty

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2005, 04:26:00 am »
Thanks! We do think she is pretty special. I really wanted another Saint but the rescue opportunity came along for this bundle of Newf/Saint joy. Looking back, maybe another Saint wouldn't have been a great idea because no other Saint would have filled Liberty's paw prints!!
Still haven't been able to windex her nose art off of the front door yet.
Roxy
Saint/Newf mix

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2005, 06:09:54 am »
What a sweet little face!
Housebreaking. ...I'm with you on this one. I thought if I had to clean up pee and poop off of my livingroom floor one more time!!!!  I was seriously so frustrated it was affecting how I felt about Finn, and my husband (he was the one who wanted to get another dog, I was the one who got stuck taking care of it) I can deal with almost anything, but housebreaking nearly did me in. And then one day he just got it. I posted here on that day. I went to bed with a pain in the arse puppy and woke up to a dog. He did terribly, but he was paying attention apparently cause one day he just went to the door and asked to be let out. Now it hasn't been perfect (he's 7.5 months) but it's been weeks since we've had an accident. Even when we leave him home alone. He licks my hand or face in the morning to wake me up when he has to go. How wonderful to wake up to that!  We didn't crate or confine him. I just watched him all the time and put him out on a schedule. He sleeps in our bedroom and never had an accident in there.
So keep your chin up, and keep a bucket of Mr. Clean and murphy's soap handy at all times! It will be over before you know it!
(But if you know of a way to keep him out of the trash I'd love to hear it!!!)

Vicki

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2005, 06:53:53 am »
You baby is just adorable. She has a very cute face.
So sorry to hear about Liberty. I love that name.
Judge was trained in about 2 weeks. He was never crate trained as I was heart broken when he cried in his crate so we gave that up after 1 night. We just praised him and put him out often. I didnt have much of a real routine. I just left the door open most days . If thats an option for you. It is pretty frustrating but like kids, its all over in a blink of an eye and you'll miss those little puppy days. It will all work out in the end and you will get lots of support from your friends here on BPO.
Good luck!!!
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2005, 08:49:21 am »
CUTE PUP!!!  Kinda looks like a Leonberger, but we'll have to wait and see how she looks at 1 year.  Puppies are the best, accidents and all.  It such a fleeting time, especially with big dogs, they grow so fast and lose their puppy breath and puppy goofiness.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2005, 12:32:09 pm »
We did the same as everyone else with Chester.  I didn't even buy a crate.  I just watched him all the time and kept him confined to the room I was in.  He's 19 weeks and hasn't had an accident in a month.  Also left the doors open for him 24/7 and he follows Cowboy most of the time.  If Cowboy pees, Chester pees.  SO cute!! 

Your baby is ADORABLE.  It's the best thing in the world for a whole in the heart....plug it with a puppy!  We lost Otis and Lucille last year and Cowboy, too, has idiopathic epilepsy!   He's pretty drugged from all the meds, but we've only had one seizure (knocking wood here!) in 3 months!!  I think he can't relax enough with Chester around to get a good seizure going!!  Chester has made the entire family feel better and I know the pups at the bridge picked him out and are watching over all of us!   I also agree about changing the physcial apperance...Ot is, Lucille and Cowboy are/were all Landseers and Chester is a brown.  He's definately his own guy!

Let us know how it's going!  I'm sure he's get the hang of it quickly!  These are very smart dogs!!

Offline sobe

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2005, 11:53:48 pm »
What a gorgeous pup !!
I am still keeping my eye trained on Moose. It took about a week and a half of constantly taking him out all the time before he stopped automatically peeing inside. He was not housebroken at all when we got him. We're both doing very well with the housebreaking, he's figured out for the most part that I want him to pee outside and I have learned for the most part to make sure he goes after waking up/eating/drinking/playing etc etc.  We've had the occasional accident and when that happens I say nothing but clean it up right away. Each and every time he pees outside , I praise him like crazy afterwards and he gets a real kick out of it, lol. his whole behind goes back and forth as he's wagging tail and behind ,lol.   
I don't crate my dogs so I don't have experience with that as they sleep right beside us on their beds , and Moose likes to jump up on the bed and sleep in between his daddy and me as well :). Fwirly prefers to stay on her bed but when the alarm goes off she'll jump on the bed and lick daddy till he wakes up.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2005, 11:58:27 pm »
Tina, your post just sent chills up my spine & all the way to my heart...How hard that msut have been for you!...Samson has promised me he is never going to die. :-\ :'(