Author Topic: Update on Kuma (If I have not bored you yet! LOL)  (Read 4067 times)

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
Update on Kuma (If I have not bored you yet! LOL)
« on: April 27, 2006, 12:51:16 am »
Just picked Kuma up at the vet and they could find absolutely nothing wrong with her.  NOT ONE THING!
I was even fortunate enough to have some big-wig from university of Tennessee visiting my vet who also sat in on the appointment (Actually…I heard he fell in love with Kuma! LOL) and they ran all sorts of tests... and just could not find anything. 

I must add my vet has been EXTREMELY supportive and patient with me. I was so upset and she told me that I needed to look at this in “at least it’s nothing life threatening or serious.  Kuma is healthy and happy…she just has an issue that we need to try and find the source and treat it. We can work this out...” 

She insisted that whatever has caused this to start two weeks ago- the goal is to try and get her intestinal tract to heel.  She put her on Metronidasole (sp?) for seven days and I am feeding her i/d for 2 to 3 days and then start blending her Canidae back in. 

She did suggest something and I am sorry that I could never remember the word despite her saying it a thousand times.  “could be Gia…gi…” or something?  If that were it the medication will clear that up…if she continues after the 7 days of medication she said at that point we have to assume its her diet or anxiety.  She further spent almost 30 minutes talking about her anxiety. 

Kuma went from a 12 week puppy who had lived her entire life outside with 21 other puppies (two litters and very little socialization) and then was brought to us.  EVERYTHING was new to her including living in a home and living with people.  I do believe she replaced us (And especially me) with her litters mates and does get really anxious when we are not around her.  She said even though the diarrhea might have initially not been caused suddenly by her being an anxious dog….it certainly doesn’t help her tummy when she does get anxious. 

Anyway…lots to think about.  Will feed the bland diet for a few days…start the medication and see what happens in 7 days. 

Thanks for letting me talk this all out!
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Update on Kuma (If I have not bored you yet! LOL)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 01:01:48 am »
I'm guessing the "g" word is Giardia?  A possiblility.

I hope Kuma is feeling better and back to her old self in no time.

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 01:16:41 am »
Yes! Yes!! That was it!!  what is that??
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

-Ann landers

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 01:22:23 am »
Oh ok...just found this...

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/gia.html

Like the parasite...if this IS what she has it still sounds like something she could have gotten outside...at the dog park?

I almost hope thats it rather than the anxiety.  It seems it would be easier to treat.
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

-Ann landers

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 01:24:06 am »
From my understanding, they can get giardia by being around stagnant water or other animal feces.  It could be contracted at the dog park, but it could also be contracted in your own backyard or on a walk.  Anywhere there's poo.

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 01:26:22 am »
Hi,

It is a yucky parasite that lives in the Small Intestine, we humans can get it too. Interesting link on Giardia

http://www.priory.com/vet/giardia.htm
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 01:50:40 am »
My girl Ellie had Giardia when she was about 6 months old... She was having intestional isses for awhile.... so I took her to the vet.... they didn't find anything in her stool sample and gave her something to calm the colon down... which would help temporarily... . but then the poops would come back...

Ellie's dog friend at the apt complex we lived had been diagnosed with Giardia...  So when Ellie went back to the vet, with yet another bought of the poops, I asked her to test for it... and sure enough she had caught giardia from her buddy... it is very contagious.... so it is possible Kuma could have Giardia and got it at the dog park.

After a course of antibiotics, Ellie was cured of Giardia... and she hasn't had it since.

Hope this info helps...  and I hope Kuma feels better real soon!

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 04:36:45 am »
sheesh! i should have looked at the dates on the postS! lol!  well i'm glad that kuma is slowly starting to feel better and that you got to the bottom of it!  sometimes i feel like i'm "nancy drew" when it comes to fumblE! 
icky parasiteS!  i hope that everything works out! and that she gets better soon!

oh and how could anyone not fall in love with her! she is soo adorable and fluffy!  :)
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 08:02:17 am »
Yes...Please keep us posted on how Kuma is doing. She is so precious. I am so sorry to hear she is having this issue. Did they take a sample to check for Giardia? Did the Vet mention what to do for the anxiety? I am sorry to ask so many questions. I just want that sweet girl to be better soon. Take care!
Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 08:07:21 am »
Hope you can get to the bottom of the situation!  I've known a couple of people who got giardia and it isn't any fun!  Apparently the treatment can really upset your stomach too.  Here's a link I found at one point that had some really good articles including one on separation anxiety.  I didn't read all of the articles but the ones I did read were very good. http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=SRC&S=1&SourceID=47

hmmm, that didn't come through quite right...  maybe cut and paste to get the link to work?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 08:08:32 am by longshadowfarms »
Daphne