Author Topic: Ello!  (Read 3807 times)

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Ello!
« on: April 28, 2006, 02:25:58 am »
 Hello, my name is Jessica and I have to confess that I have been lurking around here for some while. You are all such wonderful folks and I have learned so many things from you that it's amazing.

Currently, my fiance and I are dogless.  :'( Which is a very sad place to be. With that said, I was hoping that some of you doggy geniuses would have some pearls of wisdom.

After a lot of thought and financial consideration, we've decided that now would be the right time for us to adopt a furkid of our own.(A decision about 6 months-a year in the making) We've narrowed it down between a Newf or a Saint. (I know, get both right?! If only...) And now we're stuck. Any advice one way or the other? What are the biggest differences between the two breeds, especially in reagrds to temperment?

Muchos gracias! I have already learned so much from all of you guys. And, I'm in love with every single one of your babies. :)

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Ello!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 03:05:16 am »
Welcome to the boards!!

The main difference I've noticed between the two is that Saints get their feelings hurt easily and require lots of socialization.  One I know won't talk to you for three days or more if you hurt her feelings. If you do go with a Saint the Shorthairs coats are alot easier to care for and in my opinion look better.  I love newfs and the only thing against them is they love to play in water so some sort of water is necessary plus they love to play in their water bowls.  The also tend to get hot easily and you have to be careful making she they dry off completely.  My suggestion is to look around your area and see what you find also spend lots of time with each breed and see which fits your lifestyle better.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 03:39:58 am »
Hi,

Where are you located, both breeds tend to be cold to cool weather breeds. There seem to be more Newfs in the world then Saints (I have no Idea why) Both are great family pets low energy most of the time and extremely loyal. Both Shed mountains of fur and DROOL. Life expectancy is very similar (too short) for both and whichever you choose you will be very happy!!

Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 07:34:17 am »
Hello and welcome!

Sorry I can't help you much with the saint and newf issue as I don't see either breed nearly enough.  What was said previously holds true.  I might contact a few breeders or the national breed club to see if they can answer any questions you might have on temperment and other considerations .

Hope you enjoy it here, and be sure to post lots of pics when you finally do get your furry bundle of joy!  :D

Nicole

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 11:49:52 am »
Hi,

Where are you located, both breeds tend to be cold to cool weather breeds. There seem to be more Newfs in the world then Saints (I have no Idea why) Both are great family pets low energy most of the time and extremely loyal. Both Shed mountains of fur and DROOL. Life expectancy is very similar (too short) for both and whichever you choose you will be very happy!!

Ya think? It seems like I see Saints all over the place, but NEVER Newfs! Even if you look on petfinders, you can find a gazillion Saints, but almost no Newfs.

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 01:13:24 pm »
Newfs do seem totally underrepresent ed. Though, my Dad's neighbor has two huge Newfs that have always been a delight at Block Parties.

I guess some family background would be helpful for the advice department, huh?

Sean and I live in Sacramento right now, though we'll be moving up to Coastal Washington within the next few years or so. It gets pretty hot in the summer here, but I'm such a heat wuss that our house is an icebox close to year round. We're pretty big couch potatoes, though we love walking around downtown and such. We spend a lot of time up in Lake Tahoe helping out at a camp, so that means plenty of snow and lake play for our new baby. Since we're up there a lot, we'd like a pretty mellow guy that likes meeting new people. We're big dog fans, the smallest dog either one of us has ever had is the White Sheperd my parents still have. I'm also a big long hair fan, from being brought up with Samoyeds and Pyr mixes and everythign in between, I find my current fur and drool free life a little lacking.

So far I've read tons of books (and posts here!), emailed several breeders and still haven't been able to decide, Gah. since we're going the rescue route, I've thought about putting applications in with both groups and leaving it to chance, wherever the perfect dog for us shows us, he's ours! Then again, I'd much rather be able to make a decision and stand by it. Sigh.

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 03:27:04 pm »
Hi there,

I don't think there is a wrong choice to be made here.  I love Day-z (short hair Saint) with all my heart but I may well get her a friend who will maybe be a Newf or another short hair Saint - my decision was based on the fact her coat is thinner than a Newfs and we live in Florida.  But, i may be moving somewhere cooler soon (UK) and so she can have whatever she wants as a friend.

A fun decision if ever there was one...

Good luck

Jill

Nicole

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 09:53:00 pm »
Well....I've got a Newf mix and will soon be adding a Saint. (long-haired) I guess from my perspective it was more of a situation where they needed me than I was looking for one or the other. They're my two favorite breeds, though so I definitely am pleased with the fact that they needed me. hehe!

I don't know how I would choose between the two. Someone said that Saints get their feelers hurt for long periods of time, boy...the Newf has GOT to be the same or worse. Cabeza (Newf X) will pout for DAYS if you look at him cross-eyed. Well, not pout, but he will definitely act very very hurt. In my experience (personal and what I've read) the Newf is easier to train, as they are a bit more eager to please than the Saint. I've also found that Cabeza is more..."old soul"ish than the Saint I fostered and the ones I grew up with. Which is what I've heard in general about Newfs. They've got this particular dignity and wisdom that I've not seen in any other breed.

They're both wonderful, wonderful breeds. They both have their own individual health problems to look out for, and require tons of grooming. They drool. But, all of those things seem to be fine with you, so at this point, hahha...I think that you may be in a situation where you will just have to make a decision based on who needs you! I would tend to think that you'll be more likely to find a Saint in rescue than a Newf, though.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2006, 08:33:43 am »
Maybe you will be lucky and will find a newf/saint mix!  Wouldn't that be something.   ;D