Author Topic: Question re: Saints in hot weather  (Read 18688 times)

Offline nomathjobs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • My home page
Question re: Saints in hot weather
« on: June 01, 2005, 09:06:32 am »
Hello all

I just joined BPO at the suggestion of some friends over at MSN.

My wife and I are thinking of adopting a Saint rescue, but I'm a little concerned about the weather here.  We live in Idaho near Boise and it gets pretty warm in the summer months.  I'd like to hear from some of you who have Saints (rough or smooth coats) in hot weather - what special accomodations do you make?  Haircuts?  Any info would be appreciated.

Our dogs are outside while we're at work and inside at all other times.  Charlie, our GR, has A/C in his dog house - insulated, paneled, shingled, etc. (but he still prefers to stay in the yard, by the house, in the shade, etc).  I could easily build another house w/A/C, but I'd be more worried about a Saint not using it than I am about Charlie not using it.

Charlie is outside while we're away because he may get a little too rambunctios (sp?) with our 14 yo DLH (who is an indoor only kitty).

Any suggestions you could offer would be appreciated.

Thanks,
doug

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Question re: Saints in hot weather
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 09:33:38 am »
AC in the dog house?Love to be your pooch.I have a saint and we do have ac.We havent had him yet in the summer hes only 6 months.His favorite spot is the tub because its cool.Ive heard if your shave them their hair doesnt grow back the same and its used as insilation and protects from the sun.Ive also seen at petsmart cool beds that stay cool for your dog.I think they run about $80.Good luck with your saint.

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 09:40:36 am »
Haircuts are not good!! They do protect from the sun and heat too!! Be sure to provide your future Saint with shade and lots of water. If you make another dog house with AC, I am sure that he will use it if it gets too hot. We place a fan on the floor for our boy to lay beside in the hot months. We also make sure that he gets out for walks in the early AM or at night when it has cooled. He also loves to swim, so we let him get a good swim in at least once a day in the summer months. In the daytime he prefers to hang out in the house away from the heat.

And for thinking about rescuing a Saint---DO IT!!!! It will be the most rewarding experience ever. We rescued our boy one year ago, and I will never be without one of these amazing dogs ever again in my life!!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline nomathjobs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • My home page
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 09:59:28 am »
Hi there

>AC in the dog house?Love to be your pooch.

Well technically it's a swamp cooler, but it's pretty close.  Home Depot had "portable" swamp coolers (small units, the size of a window mount A/C) on sale so I bought one and built a platform so it blows into the dog house.  I did insulate the 2X2 walls and panel the inside.

> Ive also seen at petsmart cool beds that stay cool for your dog.I think they run about $80.Good
> luck with your saint.

I'll check out the cool beds if/when we adopt.

Thanks,
doug

Offline nomathjobs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • My home page
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 10:06:17 am »
> Haircuts are not good!! They do protect from the sun and heat too!!

We trimmed Charlie's feathers just a bit, but left all the length and density of his natural coat for that very reason.

> Be sure to provide your future Saint with shade and lots of water.

Yup.  He/She will have a large dish (Charlie's holds a gallon).  In the summer I usually add a few ice cubes to the water in the AM and refill at lunch.

> If you make another dog house with AC, I am sure that he will use it if it gets too hot.

You'd think - but Charlie seems to prefer sitting in the rain and getting soaked instead of going inside his house.  I guess Goldens are strange - our other dogs had no trouble figuring out what the dog house was for  ,-)

> He also loves to swim, so we let him get a good swim in at least once a day in the summer months.

Great idea!  GRs are supposed to love water and we live right near a lake, so if we adopt a Saint they can go swimming together.

> In the daytime he prefers to hang out in the house away from the heat.

I'd like to, but as noted I'd be just a tad concerned about the welfate of our ancient DLH cat.  For the time being, our pooches have to hang out in the back yard while we're gone.

> And for thinking about rescuing a Saint---DO IT!!!! It will be the most rewarding experience ever.
> We rescued our boy one year ago, and I will never be without one of these amazing dogs ever
> again in my life!!

If we get one my wife and I would only consider adoption/rescue.  All our dogs have been adoptions/rescues: the 8 yo leggy Airedale/mix, the 8+ yo greying Rottie, and now Charlie - a 120lb 7yo GR.

Thanks again,
doug

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 01:07:41 pm »
Hi!...Glad to see you made it over here!...I too have heard that all the hair not only protects them from the sun but somehow insulates them from the heat too...I keep Samson in the house also unless we are right with him or here keeping an eye on him...We bought him a big wading pool & always have a dish of cold water for him when he is in the yard...He looks so damn hot though already & it is just now reaching the upper 70's or very low 80's here...It is SO tempting to shave hom but the general opionion is that it will just make me feel better...lol!...P.S., I have heard the coat doesn't alwats grow back evenly too.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 01:26:57 pm »
Hi nomathjobs, and nice to have you here, guess Gypsy has been recruiting (sp??) Good job Gypsy....  ::) Soooo haircut or not, well I have heard that question so many times and it is always both sides, some believe in it others do not, as with most things there are different opinions. I am for clipping..... I have seen too many dogs that walked into my grooming shop, with lots and lots of hair, slow and tired and after a haircut acted like totally different dogs. dog parents who say wow..... he/she is soooo happy now.

The insulation idea, well I agree that it does insulate for the weather it is supposed to, the cold, the very long coat is not actually meant for dogs that live in a hot climat, but with our domesticated dogs we move them around all over the planet and sometimes they come to live in a climat that is not real ideal for them, that is when we have to provide an alternative. I always gave my customers an example..... If you put on a fur coat at the north pool youd love it and it would be of great  help, if you put on the same fur coat in CA where it is 100+ degrees you would not love it as much.

Yes if you are going to show the dog, it will change the coat a bit after having shaved/clipped it, but only in a cosmetic way, it does make them softer and maybe a bit woolier after having been clippen (mind you I have seen coats that you could never tell they had been clipped too) So with a show dog you probably wont go for a haircut. But if it is being a family memeber and a friend and is not going to be conformation showed I would absolutely help it with a haircut. Some have pink skin and if cut/shaved too short can get problem with sun burn, so you'd have to put sunscreen on, but I wouldnt cut that short.

We have a Siberian Husky, we live in NC, so he is sooooo out of his natural element, he loves his haircuts and I dont think I can think of one single dog owner that decided to cut the hair on a long haired dog, that regretted it, you can tell how the dogs appreciate it. But as I said when I started like halfa page ago  ;D you will hear lots of different opinions on this. I always think, what and where is this breed meant to do and live, and then the rest is to me pretty straight forward

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 03:39:50 pm »
Marit, That was what I thought was logical reasoning also...May be you just shouldn't have them clipped really short so their hair still protects them from sunburn...I think I will have Sam's coat at least cut a little shorter for summer...P.S., I filled up his wading pool today...He won't go near it..Evidently it's the devil...lol!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 03:56:53 pm »
You know I am sure you are right, sometimes people came in and wanted a shave with a #10 blade, (that is too short if you ask me) I always tried to stear them away from that and pointed out how they would have to put sunscreen on and the risk of cancer too, just as with humans when in sun for too much and too long, especially when they have been protected by coat and all of a sudden not. That I am sure could be compared to how infants and small babies are with sun.

I had to stop grooming, because I had a few real nasty trips with pneumonia (hmmm spellling??) and the doc. told me that I had nothing to worry about now, but if I kept breathing in all the little hair particles and dander and dust around 8 hours a day, I would end up with severe lung problems, so that made my mind up  ;D Cant say that I would want to leave my two legged kids momless. But I loved it, my dad always told me what a waste my education was. I did work for several years with economy, so I got some use out of it, but a groomer was not exactly what he figured Id be hehe

I miss it though, Wish you guys lived close to here, we could have a spa day together and I could clip, shave, comb, brush, clip toenails, drain anal glands hehe and after we could go have a nice picnic in the park with all our big babies.

Marit

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 06:11:54 pm »
Marit,
I'm sure you know best when it comes to clipping the dog fur, with your experience and all. Here's a quick question for you- When we had our Husky/Shepherd spayed and they had to shave her belly the fur never grew completley back in. She has some fur their now, but you can still see the perfect square cut that was shaved. We asked the vet and they ran some thyroid tests and said that everything was normal. Have you ever seen or heard of anything like this? Oh yeah- it has been over a year and the fur still hasn't come back.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline Jerry

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2005, 01:24:31 pm »
The vet told us it was not a good idea to shave Josh the Saint all over but it was acceptable to shave his belly in the summer.  Makes sense to me since he could the turn into his usual snoring pile-o-dog on the kitchen tiles and get some cooling affect.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2005, 02:14:45 pm »
Saintgirl, I am sorry I havnt seen your post before. First I want to say, that I do not concider myself knowing best  ::) well when I talk to hubby I do, but thats another story  ;D

I only speak from everything I have read, what I learnt when I trained to be a groomer and the experience I got from 10 years of grooming. But all dogs are different. And yours prove it doesnt it lol.... No I have never seen anything like it. The only thing I can think of it when they shave a dog for surgery they use a #40 blade, which is a sugical blade, shaves real real close to the skin, a blad you'd never use for a regular shaving. That for some reason the skin on the belly which is very sensetive for some reason had a reaction and the fur didnt grow back. Also since it is an area where its been done surgery, well hehe if you have ever had a c-sec. you know that funny things happen to the skin around the area where the cut is done. That may be a reason too, but I really dont know, I am only coming up with different ideas to why now. But answer is no I have never seen a dog with those problems, granted never shaved a belly with #40 either. If they have run a thyroid test, and that came back normal, Id probably just thinking that, it is one of those things that hardly ever happen, but can. The only thing I would make sure of, is if she is in the sun a lot, with "belly up" that she doesnt get sun burned. I am sooooooo glad I did not have such a case as a groomer, man ohhh man that would not have been good  :o

Jerry - As I said in my earlier post, the shave or not to shave question has and I believe always will be a issue where people are on different sides, some say shave/clip others say dont. Even vets are on different sides here. I have had several vets throughout the years, and when I groomed for the human Soc. I met several vets there. I have met the ones who say "dont shave" too. Most of them agree with it thgout. Since I always want to know "why" I want a vet to explain to me why they have the opinion they have (both sides) that is how you learn a lot I think. And I dont want to second guess a vet, Okay not true  ::) I want them to be able to explain for me why they want or dont want to do a certain thing. Most of them have a hard time arguing with the fact that most to all longhaired dogs are bred and meant to live in a cool climat. That the belly is the most sensetive place on a dog, so if they think shaving a belly is okay, why not the rest of the dog, where the skin isnt nearly as sensetive. Well just different questions I like to ask.

I am not saying it is wrong to shave the belly only, but the way I think, the way the dogs were intended to live if we think about that, and then take into concideration where they live now and how not at all they are bred for that climat. Well I am a bit passionat here lol...... Just that this is a discussion I have about 20 times every spring/summer and after having seen houndreds of dogs feeling so much better with a shorter hair cut, it is a topic close to my heart.

The good thing about these posts - if you think I am talking BS you just shut me down and dont have to listen  ;D

Marit

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2005, 02:19:15 pm »
Thanks for the reply Marit! Weird that the fur doesn't want to come back in, and we do watch her in the sun. I guess she is just a little freak of nature, but we love her even more for it!!!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2005, 02:26:01 pm »
Yes bold or not they are our babies  ;D And like I said she had a surg. on her belly and let me tell you I have had 4 c-sec's and I look like a freak of nature too hehe

Marit

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2005, 02:48:13 pm »
Maxwell is a long haired Saint and I got him at 5 1/2 weeks old in August so this is our first summer together.  I called a groomer here in Moncton that specializes in giant breeds.  I enquired about shaving Max and she wouldn't do it.  She did say that his fur was an insulator and all he needed was to have his undercoat "blasted" off.  She said it's like a high power air blower that removes his fluffy undercoat.  I have an appointment for him tomorrow to have it done.  I'll let you folks know about the results.  There is also a special comb that you can buy to remove the undercoat as well.  Never tried it but heard it works.  I'm trying this first and may buy the brush.  As for heat, I don't leave Max outside during the day while we are at work.  He is baby gated in my hallway with ceramic floor and he sleeps and is cool all day.  When we are outside it's just lotsa water and he loves the sprinkler.