Author Topic: New here & introducing myself  (Read 6288 times)

Offline Mel

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
New here & introducing myself
« on: April 29, 2006, 10:03:56 am »
Just introducing myself as we finally have a puppy to ask tons of questions about etc.
His name is Black Jack and he's 6w old.  He's St. Bernard/Border Collie. At least that's the shelter's best guess.
He's a sweet heart (of course which puppy isn't?).
We are feeding him Purina pro-plan currently.  I feed him 1/4c with ~1/4c water 5 times a day.  Is this too much? He wolfs it down everytime I feed him.
The shelter said we should free feed, but I thought that wasn't good for animals?
Your thoughts??  I look forward to learning a lot.
Mel and the gang...
Black Jack- born 18 March 2006
Joined our family 28 April 2006

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: New here & introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 10:34:28 am »
First of all, hello and welcome!  I love Black Jack's paw print pic, it is soooo cute!  I wonder why they think st in him, I can't see it, but maybe they saw the mother.  He sure is a cutie pie.   :-*  :-*

As for the food, I have no problems with free feeding, provided they aren't eating too much.  In fact, I find this the preferable way of feeding (although I can't do that with my current two, they would be blimps)  If you have a wolfer, free feeding is probalby not a good idea.

As to how much to feed, it would depend on how big he is, and how big they expect him to get.  I free fed my female originally, so I dont' know how much she was eating at that age.  I didn't have Gunther that young, but at 12 wks he was getting 9-10 cups (cut down when I realized he was gaining weight too fast)  As long as he doesn't look too bloated or gaining weight too fast, or not enough, you should be okay with what you are doing.  You can probably cut down to 2-3 times a day as he gets older.

I would love to see more pics of him, which I'm sure you have.  Post away!  ;D

Oh, btw, my name is Chris, and I am currently owned by Keiko, a husky/shep mix, Gunther, a great dane, and soon to be 2 rat terriers, Posey and a yet undetermined male.

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 11:43:49 am »
Oooh , finally someone somewhat close to me ! (I'm down in SD ) but I lived near Great Falls for 7 years  ;D Welcome to BPO ! I have three dogs , a Newfoundland , a Newfie/Border Collie/something cross , and a Miniature Schnauzer . MUST SEE more pics of Black Jack , he's adorable !
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline Mel

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 08:03:48 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome.
They did see the mom and she was a saint, but not sure if she was mixed or pure bred.
He weighed 7.3lb as of Friday.  He is officially 6 weeks today (Sunday).  His mom was 110lb, so we're guessing (and what a guess it is) he'll be in the 50-75lb range.
If free feeding, do you just put 1c+ in the bowl and moisten and leave?
He was the runt of the litter.  We only met one of his siblings and he looked like his dad was a shepard and his paws were twice the size of Black Jack's.
I really want a Newf someday, but they are few and far between here in Alberta.
Here's a few more pics  ;D

Mel and the gang...
Black Jack- born 18 March 2006
Joined our family 28 April 2006

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 08:19:05 pm »
What a sweet puppy!  I am Jacquie (in AL) and my furkids are Tsu (a 12yo Chow) and Boudreaux (10wo American Mastiff).  Griffey is a fat, yellow cat who is in denial that there is a new puppy in HIS house. I look forward to more photos of Black Jack and watching him grow.  I am glad you found BPO!  There are great people here as well as a wealth of knowledge.  Welcome! :) 
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 08:27:14 pm »
He's sooo cute!!  What does the bag of food recommend?  Also I'm sure you could get away with feeding 3 times a day and our vet suggested all they can eat in 20 min but if he's a hoover that may not work for him.  mainly just watch his weight and make sure he doesn't get too chubby you should always be able to feel the ribs and all the vertebrae of his backbone....if you can't at some point then you'll need to cut back.  Good luck and post lots of pics!!!!
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Pascua's momma

• Gnawer
  • Pascua@4.5 mo(Feb)malshepakita?beautifulmutt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 02:18:10 pm »
Welcome Mel and BlackJack - he is amazingly cute and yay to adopting rescue pups! 

We brought Pascua home from a rescue shelter at @ 12 weeks and he weighed 23 lbs I think. We free fed him (putting the measured amount for the day) but he's not a big eater.  We'd go by measuring on the bag - first it was eukanuba for large breed puppies- that was bad for his stomach so switched to royal canin and now transitioning to Canidae.  we just stopped free feeding since he  started to not eating anything - so now we're more strict and now he's eating more. so this probably doesn't help cuz  your pup is a good eater!

the photo is of our Pascua at @13 weeks - sorry couldn't help it!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 02:43:50 pm »
Jack is so cute! I don't know what he really is but he sure is adorable. Welcome! I'm Jaime and have a 3 year old Newf named Bear.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline MommaBear

• Paw-meister
  • baby bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 03:43:46 pm »
Welcome :)
Black Jack is a cutie
I am mom to 11 month old Bear, a Newf/Cane Corso
Have fun watching your little guy grow into his big paws :)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 04:01:57 pm »
If free feeding, do you just put 1c+ in the bowl and moisten and leave?

If you are going to free feed and leave the bowl, don't moisten the food; then it is like any meat that you are leaving out and it could go bad...especial ly in this warm weather.

Oh, by the way, I have two Newfs who are completely a part of our family.  Cowboy is a 3 year old Landseer and Chester is a one year old brown.  I also have 4 almost-grown children.

Welcome to the asylum  and Black Jack is on my kidnap list! ;)  He's adorable!!!

DakotaMom

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 07:55:39 am »
Welcome to the list. We love pictures. My name is Denise and I am owned by three pooches. I have two Leonberger girls and a Newf/Lab mix boy.

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 01:43:49 am »
Hi, he is soooo cute!  I want him!  Welcome to BPO.
I have a Great Pyr, Binky, two Papillons, McDougal and Chicklet, 2 cats, Sigfried and Spooky, and 2 baby Goats, Ferdinand and Jasper.  I free feed all of our animals and none of them have a weight problem or are picky eaters.  I think free feed is beeter, b/c then they don't wolf down their food and throw it back up 5 minutes later!  Wouldn't moisten the food and leave it out though-might go bad.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

GR8DAME

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 02:14:07 am »
Welcome to BPO, Black Jack is adorable! I am Stella , and my furkids are listed below. I used to free feed when I only had two dogs, in fact they would eat out of the same bowl. But with my present crew they are more food possesive/agressive and would fight, plus with three I need more control, to see if someone is "off" their feed.
As for the amount you feed, let his condition be your guide. If his coat is good, eyes bright, well fleshed out and he plays and is puppy in action and attitude, you are fine.
Stella