Author Topic: What to do????  (Read 15154 times)

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
What to do????
« on: June 01, 2005, 02:16:16 pm »
Here is my problem...  My 5 yr.old Dobie Ace is not a big fan of Tekke( our new addition).  Any suggestions on what I can do to help them become buddies?  I have only had Tekke for 2 1/2 weeks.  Tekke is 11 weeks old.  I never leave them alone together because I don't trust Ace with him.

nickerbokker

Re: What to do????
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 02:21:06 pm »
cody was scared shi%$#ss of angus for about 2 months.  he didnt understand why the stuffed animal was alive and trying to cuddle with him.  if angus came near codys toys in any way shape or form, cody would growl at him.  and on christmas, cody bit a 8 week old angus on the head for walking by when he had his nylabone. 

i cried and cried, i didn't know what to do.  cody was being a butt head, and i didn't want the puppy to get eaten, but i didn't want to get rid of him becaus he already stole my heart.  so i waited it out.....i watched them like a hawk....whenev er they started to "play" i was stanging right there making sure things didn't get out of hand.  and then one day, they just fell in love.  now they are the best brothers in the world, and they HATE to be apart.  they snuggle, sit on eachother, share toys, share moms love...and are SOOO happy.

MY advice is to wait it out and watch them VERY carefully.  then again, that was just how it turned out with my boys so i dont know about you and yours!

BERST OF LUCK!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 02:28:42 pm »
I wonder if adding a little dab of num nums like peanut butter flavored doggy cheeze whiz to Tekke's nose and Ace may end up thinking he likes the taste of the addition and therefore the rest of him may not be so bad.  If it tastes good it must be a good thing to have around.

nickerbokker

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 02:29:16 pm »
LMAO...unless he eats the puppy!

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 02:37:36 pm »
Oh Boy, I am thinking that Ace would eat him for sure then, he LOVES PB...lol

You have instantly made me feel better nicker, thanks so much.  Ace is also scared to death of him and when Tekke comes near him when he has a toy or food he growls at him.  Now Tekke has a little patch of missing hair on his forhead because Ace just snapped at him, like 10 mins. ago.  Ace has many male doggy friends so I hoping that this will pass, I don't want to have to give Tekke up, I am a little distraught over this :(

nickerbokker

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 02:42:36 pm »
i honestly dont think it is anything to worry yourself about.  just keep a REALLY good eye on them and help them adjust, and one day, everyone will get along i think....BUT I AM NOT EXPERT HERE LOL. 

also...i still feed them on opposite ends of the room.  it just scares me to have them close to eachother....w e get so wound up when we eat LOL.  just make sure ace has his space (im a poet and didn't know it!)...and that he can get "big dog" time to himself.  soon enough he wont want it, but for now, the puppy is still a pest in his eyes.

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 02:43:27 pm »
I would think they'll work it out, my guys did. I always try to go male/female. I have 2 females & 1 male. The oldest ,Chazzy (10), is the boss & she makes it known. Meanwhile she doesn't have a mean bone in her body. it took a while for her & the baby to make friends now they play.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 05:36:49 pm »
Thanks for all the advice guys, it made me feel much better.  I just got my second dog 2 months ago, Sasha, she is a one yr.old and she is the BOSS of Ace and Tekke, us females have to keep the males in their place you know....lol ;).  I do feed them in seperate rooms and they are NEVER left alone together.

I hope that all that you say is true nicker, I really hope so.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 07:43:21 pm »
Do not allow domination...a fter all, you are the alpha and you decide who does what... ;)
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

nickerbokker

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 08:22:06 pm »
AHHHHHHHHHHH.. ..YOU CANT BLAME ME IF IT DOESN'T WORK!

seriously, that is all i could say because the only experience i have had is with the present dogs, and they are wonderful together. 

GOOD LUCK, i take no blame if your dogs are different LOL.

i really think it will be okay.  just be the boss and let them know the cant touch eachother.  if cody bit angus, i bit cody.  still have the hairball to prove it.

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 03:59:13 am »
Nicker, I will hold you accountable if I get my hopes up and they end up not getting along.......LO L  I think it will work itself out in time, just got a little freaked out yesterday when Ace hurt little Tekke.  I always praise Ace when he is civil around him, lots of good boys.  I know exactly what you mean Moonlit, I use that same technique with the horses that I train, they are allowed to not like each other when they are out in the pasture but when they have to work they must get along with each, I can't have horses constantly kicking at each other.

I don't want Ace to love him just tolerate him and hopefully not kill him..lol

Thanks Again

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 06:37:45 am »
I bring in a lot of foster puppies from the place I volunteer.  Maia is never fond of them when they first come in but by the end of the weeks or two or three she actually likes them.
I make a big scene and look like an idoit.  I get excited (not too excited) and sit on the floor with the puppy and some treats.  I talk very happy about what a cool puppy this is and how much fun we will have and look what the puppy got for you guys.  Then we slowing work to me standing there while they inspect the puppy, sniff the butt, etc...

We finally work up to everyone in the yard together with me watching.  I never leave them all out in the yard together since my guys are 120 and 115 lbs and puppy is usually less than 10 lbs.
After a couple days, there is usually some playing but always supervised.  Maia is bone aggressive but not food aggressive so we make sure no bones are out.  It is a process.  Maia has never hurt any of the puppies but she has pinned them down and done the I'm the bigger dog here act and usually that gets her nailed by Rocco.  No blood shed but a lot of slobbery necks.

I'm sure your guys will like each other one day.   :o
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 06:48:03 am »
I don't know if this works with dogs but I know it does with cats...I have 8 cats with only one lone holdout who hates everybody...lo l...The other cats all get along well or at least coexist fairly peacefully...I take time to pet the two that don't get along at the same time...One on each side of me...I make no demands that they interact & concentrate on giving them both an equal & alternate amount of verbal positive reinforcment.. .Eventually they learn to at least be near each other with no problems...Ano ther cat (& bubby) trick is to give them both a bath with the same shampoo or put something on them all over that smells the same so there is no smell difference...I t sounds silly but there were times that I was grasping at straws with 2 cats that hated each other...I would have tried anything....lo l...Also, last but not least, make sure the older dog is getting alot of one on one time with you & when you are alone exagerate what a wonderful beast he is!...He needs to be secure of his place in your home & heart...Good luck & keep us posted!

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2005, 08:11:31 am »
Ahhhhhhhh, the addition of a sweet pup. How wonderful and stressfull at the same time. One thing you can try is praising and treating Ace when the pup is around - ultimately conditioning Ace that when the puppy is around "good things happen." One way to do this... set up a situation where Ace is in a room.... and have someone else walk Tekke through the room. As soon as Tekke is in view feed Ace treats the whole time until Tekke has left the room. Once Tekke is out of sight the treats stop. It may take a handful of times for Ace to make the association but hopefully it will help the acceptance process.

Also you might want to check out the www.doggiebago nline.com. It is a forum based website that helped me out A LOT with questions I had about my pup (fear aggression, health questions, training, etc...).

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2005, 06:14:34 pm »
I am VERY happy to report that Ace is getting along pretty good with Tekke.  Yesterday they had their first play session together, I was sooo happy when I saw Ace give Tekke a BIG old play bow ;D  Although Ace is fine with him 95% of the time I have to be careful when I am giving Ace some attention cause sometimes Tekke will run over and jump on Aces face and Ace growls at him, I can deal with that :)  All 3 dogs play together now it's great ;D

Thanks for all the advice