Author Topic: Male, or Female?  (Read 5540 times)

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Male, or Female?
« on: April 30, 2006, 05:25:07 pm »
We are looking for either a much older puppy, or an adult Newfie and we have been talking to some breeders on the breeder list on the Newfoundland Club of America. There are 2 different breeders that have older puppies/dogs available at this time. One is a 15 month old female, who sounds really sweet and the other are 2 10 month old males, who also sound sweet. I actually posted a photo of them awhile back. They are just too cute! Anyway, my husband just now tells me that he doesn't want a female. He is completely opposed to getting a female because his mom always got females growing up and they were always "Yappy and Obnoxious." I asked him what type of dogs they were and he named off a bunch of breeds that are "Yappy and Obnoxious." :) I told him that I didn't think it had anything to do with the fact that they were all females, but that it was more the breeds that they were. I truly have no preference. I would love a male, or female. I have only owned males, though, so I have no comparison to differences in behavior, or anything. I would love to hear from anyone who could help me get my husband to see that female dogs are also great companions. He adores Newfies and when we see female Newfies, he will comment that they are beautiful. We have 5 little girls and he adores every one of our daughters. I think he may be trying to balance out the female hormones in our home. :)
Thanks for any input. :)
Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn

GR8DAME

Re: Male, or Female?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 08:24:11 pm »
The only female I have ever had is Raven, my current dobie. She is not yappy or obnoxious, but she is very intolerant towards other dogs, male or female, and has a very high prey drive towards other species. Basically if it is on 4 legs, and it moves, she will try to kill it. She was abused early in life and was the oldest dog I have ever brought into the house. My males have been quite the opposite, very tolerant once the initial getting-to know-you phase had passed, to the point of eating out of the same bowl and sharing water. I have only introduced young dogs, tho, I am not sure how long the adjustment would take with an adult.
It sounds like the two males are young and raised together? If that is the case you may have better luck than if they were complete strangers. I am sure there are newfie parents that can give you a more breed specific overview.
In any case, congrats on whichever new additions you decide upon.
Stella

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 08:47:46 pm »
Yappy and Obnoxious newf? I just can't imagine it, maybe his mom had terriers or something.  In my experience the females have been sweeter , and the males more playful.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 09:31:31 pm »
Kali loves to talk back but its more of a deep bark.  But I've heard both male and female do this.  Kali is actually more protective then the males I've met but she's really good with most people and she'll back off and bark at someone she doesn't like.  Kali can be obnoxious but any puppy is in the teenage stage and I know a couple of males that made Kali look like a saint.  I think it all depends on the dog.  My suggestion would be to spend time with each dog and see which will fit best.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 10:08:03 pm »
If you own a male already, I suggest a female... If you own a female, I suggest a male...You can get same sexes to work but it requires more work

I have a male intact Central Asian Ovcharka and he is just a love, marshmallow, cool, calm and well now he is in his I AM  MAN obnixious teenage phase of life...

I also have a female Caucasian Ovcharka would was the true meaning of the word Bitch but now and I vowed to never get another female....  I will say, as of now, I am almost leaning toward females over males and I never thought I would say that....she is extremely tolerant, maternal, kinda of clingy, fresh just everything all in one.. LOL

I think females are more work at first but then are less work in the whole picture
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 01:37:50 am »
Currently, I have one of each sex, and soon I will have 2 of each sex.  Of the two, Keiko is the much more laid back one, and she is not at all vocal.  In fact, I  used to joke with people that she was mute b/c she never barked (and strangely, people believed me  ::) )  Keiko eventually found her voice, but still pretty much only barks when someone is at the door, which is rare.  Gunther, on the other hand, will bark at anything that moves, and growls most of the day.  He found his voice the day after I brought him home at 12 wks.

Of the two, Gunther takes longer to adjust to new people/animals/situations b/c he is more shy and "on edge"  But even then, when we tested our new pups out in Feb to see how they would get along with everyone, it only took him a week before he was playing with them when previously he was telling them to "get lost"

I've always heard it's best to have opposite sexes, although I do know of people who have same sex dogs and it works fine for them.  I agree it has alot to do with the personalities of the dogs.  The more dominant the dog, the more problem it will probably have bringing in another same sex dog to the family.  I, too would go with the female, but maybe if you are able bring your guy along to see the other dogs, he will help you choose as to who he prefers.

Nicole

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 02:01:38 am »
Ok. My opinion, for what its worth.

I've got a 7 year old male Newf X.(Cabeza) He gets along with EVERYONE. When we introduced an 8 month old American Bully/Pitbull into the house, also a male, there were no problems at all. And the Bully was not neutered at the time. They lived perfectly harmoniously until Bo went to heaven at age...um...1 and a half. I know, not very long, but the point is they did well. Not even any introductory B.S.

That said, we used to have a male Husky. When we introduced Cabeza into the house, the Husky could NOT deal with it. He became INSANELY aggressive. Cabeza had no issues, but the Husky did.

There is something super cool about the mixed gender relations, though. Jenn's right. My guy really loved dober_gurl's Dobie, Maggie. He totally acted different around her. Usually he's all aloof and doesn't even pay attention to any other dogs, but he really loved her!

I think that it really does have alot to do with the personality of the dog. But, I personally really like the boys. Maybe I'm too much of a B*T** to share the home with a girl. I've never tried, though. And, I've always said that when I finally get that Newf pup, its going to be a girl..so, we'll see.

Offline MommaBear

• Paw-meister
  • baby bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 02:05:58 am »
We have a newf X female and she is nowhere near yappy and obnoxious -- quite the opposite, she is only 8 mos and lays down when people come to pet her, especially children. She has her "wild puppy moments" but they are usually short bursts of her running around in circles chasing her tail. I think you would be happy with a female..or male,as said previously newfs aren't the yappy type

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 02:49:16 am »
I have three males. One Newf, one St. B x and a mutt. I'm not the type of female that can have another female in the house. I like the male personality better myself, I think that they bond closer to me, and are more protective. I guess if it's supposed to be Hubby's dog, he should get what he wants, if the puppers is for you and your daughters, I say y'all should choose.

If you get the chance, I would really lean towards going and meeting them before deciding. Take along your current pup, and see how the reaction goes.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 05:00:36 am »
I think it all depends on the personality of the dog.

I have always prefered bitches, not because they are any different with love and affection than a male. But just because boys have a couple of bits and pieces that I personally don't like to see!! ;)

At the moment we live with one male and two females. Some males are difficult to handle, but then so can some bitches be, especially if they are down right stubborn!!

Our male (Kitten)is just a year old and is SOOOO laid back he is almost horizontal, but I have a friend with a male newf who has always been a nightmare to own! Kitten's  litter sister behaves lovely in the show ring, but at home she is a monster!!! She chases the cats and continually fights against her head collar and lead.... But she is just as cuddly and loving as her brother, only when she wants to be!! Our other girl we don't really know we have, but then she is getting old!! And our dearly departed girl was a Miss Perfect ALL the time!!

Non of them are yappy, but i have never found Newfs bark that much anyway. Mine never bark when someone comes to the house, but Honey barks if she see's people walking dogs past the front of the house!

Some people say you should never have two males in the same house as they will fight, but I know people who have two boys who are very happy together. Other people say you should never have more than one female in the house, well I have always had more than one female and they get along fine too! Ok they sometime have disagreements, but they are over in minutes ;)

What ever you decide, I hope you will be very happy :)
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 08:27:39 am »
Thank you all so much for your advice & for sharing your experiences. I really appreciate it!  :D

We do have an older male dog. He is a Chessie mix, named Cooper. He is 9 and a half & is the sweetest boy. I will add a photos of him.

I will definitely keep you posted on what we decide. We are hoping to go see the female this weekend. She is 3 hours away from us. The males are 6 hours away & the breeder is still deciding whether she wants to rehome them, or not.

Thank you again. You are all so helpful!  ;D
Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn