Author Topic: What do you do when you think your furbaby is ill  (Read 3594 times)

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
What do you do when you think your furbaby is ill
« on: May 02, 2006, 02:40:17 pm »
Long story..
AT my Gram's a few weeks ago Cider wouldn't settle in bed after we'd been there 3 or so nights.  Kept shaking (she does this when scared and excited.. thought maybe noises were bugging her) Couldn't sleep she was shaking circling wouldn't settle.. She does this some nights.. but it's going on 630am, I'm gettign a headache from lack of sleep.. so I crate her (she's crate trained, sleeps there if I'm away from home or can't watch her).  Get up at 11am, and before I can see her I smell her..

Dear lord.. There is poop on the crate bars, on the dog on the bed..  I feel so so bad for her I carry her outside and she lets more liquid poop go, but perks right up after.  Major clean up, and a few more poop during the day and by evening she seems herself.  Next day solid poops no probs.

Tonight.. She seemed good, get ready for bed and it sounds like a circus in my bedroom.. so I bring her into the bathroom.  Sniffing her bum non stop, won't settle, pacing.  Bring her to bed she shakes.  Take her out she poops.  Bring her to bed she shakes, take her out she pees.  Bring her to bed she shakes, back out lil more pee.  Currently crated, but now I can't sleep.

I think when it's pooped out she will be okay, and I'll fast and go to rice and chicken, that's fine.  I think it's a tummy bug, we've been recently to the vet, she's vacc against almost everything under the sun, and it came on pretty suddenly..  If it doesn't obviously I'll go to the vet..

My long winded story brought up this Q..
When your dog is ill, what do you do?  Crate and hope for the best, sleep by the door in case they really gotta go, something else?

I'm not sure what to do exactly to be as helpful as possible and make her feel okay.  My Mom thinks part of the shaking is due to her being so well house trained that she is afraid to let it go in the house.. and the thought that she doesn't feel well is making her more upset than she already is... I don't know but I think she might sorta have a point.

~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
Re: What do you do when you think your furbaby is ill
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 05:48:47 pm »
Our Newf, Barkley, has been dealing with this a lot recently since he's been diagnosed with lymphoma.  I agree with your mom that being well house trained does cause them some distress.  Barkley gets very upset and always, always attempts to make it to one or more of the doors in the house if he gets taken by surprise during the night.  Of course, this is an issue because he walks through the house to get to the doors!

He always slept in our bedroom (on the floor) but since he's been ill, he's been wanting to sleep in the basement.  That works because it's cement floor there.  We simply put a blanket down for him, and if he has an accident there, no big deal.  So far, he's only had three .. not bad considering we're about six weeks into the diagnosis.

As for what we do now that he's sick, we kind of take our cues from him.  We do get up during the night if need be to let him out though.

Good luck with all of this!  Hope your sweet dog is feeling better soon.
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

cricket36580

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 07:05:13 pm »
I simply don't sleep.  It's easier.  But I'm one of those weird people that can go w/out sleep for really long periods of time.

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 11:19:36 pm »
Thanks guys.. I took her out hourly, and finally had to crash at 5:30 this morning.. and feel crappy from a bad/ not enough sleep... but she seems okay this morning.  Though not too happy about being crated while I was home..
But this morning's poop was fairly formed, though not up to normal poopy quality, lol.

Just makes me wonder for future how to handle it best so she isn't all stressed out you know?
She was litterbox trained by her 'original' owner.. because we lived in an apt building.  Took a ton of dedication to get her to go outside, and then being firm when taking her outside and reinforcing it.. since being allowed to go in the house, and then not was confusing, and I totally felt bad for her.. but I needed her t ogo outside only..
So I think it's been ingrained that you don't go in the house, even though if I found an oops I wouldn't say anything to her about it.. not like she knows this.

GR8DAME

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 11:25:54 pm »
My guys almost always will wake me up to go out. Nothing like a solid dane punch to the head to bring you out of a sound sleep. On the very few occasions that they haven't had time (I assume) to wake me up it is always loose stools and I just clean up the mess in the AM and go on. Unlike you, Blair I get a bit...cranky.. .if I don't get some sleep.
Stella

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 11:49:18 pm »
LOL, If Cider had your guys waking up skills I'd be in the clear, lol.
Having been litter trained, she's still a year later sketchy on informing me she has to go.. so she gets taken out a good number of times in a day and almost always goes.. she isn't a barker, so there's a bell on the door.. she understands the concept, when she's really gotta go she rings it.. but it isn't the easiest method especially when she's sick, and trapped in my bedroom.. :(