Author Topic: Can dogs have tomatoes?  (Read 5659 times)

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Can dogs have tomatoes?
« on: May 04, 2006, 07:50:39 am »
Is it alright for dogs to have tomatoes? Or tomato sauce? Just curious thanks :)
Proudly owned by: Robin-3 yr old Lab mix, Brody 14 month old Great Dane, Moose a 6 month old dane
Loved by my beautiful daughter Makaylee and my soon to be adopted sons Richard and Jay And the husband too I guess

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Can dogs have tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 07:57:00 am »
Every dog my family has ever owned has eaten them right off the tomato plants, and we haven't lost one yet!

In fact, Max is a bit of an addict.

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 09:10:59 am »
I didn't think it would hurt them but thought I would ask you guys. Brody is turning 1 tomorrow and we are having a stew type thing for dinner but its pretty much hamburger rice and tomatoes so I thought as a special treat I would give her some :)
Proudly owned by: Robin-3 yr old Lab mix, Brody 14 month old Great Dane, Moose a 6 month old dane
Loved by my beautiful daughter Makaylee and my soon to be adopted sons Richard and Jay And the husband too I guess

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 09:55:25 am »
Tomatoes: Tomatoes can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias. Tomatoe plants and the most toxic, but tomatoes themselves are also unsafe.

http://www.starbreezes.com/11/foodsafe.html

Suppose it's one of those things though, dogs have gotten into mass amounts of chocolate and lived, been fed grapes often and not succumed to kidney failure, just be careful about how much you give..
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 11:31:14 am »
Thank you for that

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 11:36:44 am »
NP hun.

When you post foods dogs shouldn't have there's always someone who says they feed it often.  And I totally dig, not every dog will get sick for a day let alone irreperitably from it.. but some will, so always better to know, you know?
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 07:48:43 pm »

Tomatoes themselves are not toxic for dogs, the way chocolate, grapes and onions are so they are not in the same category.  While they are "fine" to feed and the occasional tomatoe sauce is no problem, they are part of the "night shade" family and therefore are inflammatory. Animals with arthritis or joint problems should not eat them and elderly animals are wise to avoid.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline Magnus

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 07:30:18 am »
Thanks for the info. My wife is convinced that because her grad father fed his dogs table scraps always and lived we into their teens, that we should be able to do that with out dogs. She's constantly sneaking left overs to out dogs despite what I say.  I just forwarded that website info to her.  Maybe if the infor isn't coming from me she'll actually believe me  ;) :D
StanLee- American Mastiff
Julie- Rottie
Steve- Pug/Jack Russel
Neeko- My old rottie friend waiting at the bridge