Author Topic: Overweight Golden  (Read 2703 times)

Offline AimeeSedlock

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Overweight Golden
« on: May 04, 2006, 11:00:14 am »
I just got a 2 year old Golden Retriever from a Golden rescue. She is probably 30 pounds over weight.  I need to know the best diet to put her on, she's a sweet girl, but way to fat..  Please give me some idea's I want to slim down this beautiful girl.

Thank you

Aimee

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Overweight Golden
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 11:20:56 am »
I'd buy a good quality food and just fees a little less than the daily feeding on the bag, rather than an actual diet dog food.  I think any one I've ever picked up and looked at was high in fillers rather than meat, so your dog looses weight because it's pooping most of it out, since there's way less good stuff to absorb.

Really good foods: (not all by any means but one's I've grown to like)
timberwolf organics
solid gold
wellness
canidae
wysong
eagle pack holistic (holistic only not the 'normal' line)

Those are to name a few.  I'd also suggest making quality time t owalk, maybe play some fetch, just start off slow until you know what your new furbaby can handle.  Between food and excercise he should bounce back to a good weight in no time.
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 11:35:52 am »
My parents Golden was 130 pounds at one point last year and they switched him to Science Diet. They feed him less food but more often and my dad ran him every day. He had to have TPLO surgery so he's not running again yet but he's lost a ton of weight from the change in food and more exercise. Some Goldens have to be encouraged to exercise. All of ours have been very laid back and lazy and won't move unless provoked :)
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline AimeeSedlock

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 11:54:07 am »
Thank you for your replys, I've got her on nurtro lite, so we'll see how that works, plus I'm walking her as much as possible, she seems like a really good girl, I've never brought a full grown dog into my house.  My cat's freaked at first when I brought her in, but she's been good, more interested in the cat's than chasing them. So I feel like they should all be alright.

THANKS to everyone that replyed, again this is new to me I've always had pups and started from there. she is a BIG dog, not just over weight, just big, but seems to be a sweetheart,

Aimee

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 08:23:45 pm »
Be sure when looking at foods you compare the K/cal (calories) amount per cup. Some foods can run over 450 which is not needed by an overweight or most dogs peroid. So look for one thats in the 350 range that way you don't have to make her feel starved as you try to get her weight down.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 08:28:03 pm by VdogLover »