Author Topic: Dobie Weight  (Read 15905 times)

Offline EastJenn

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Dobie Weight
« on: June 02, 2005, 06:48:34 am »
  Hello everyone!
I am new to the group and to the world of Dobie's.  My husband and I brought home a male Doberman pup, Kaiser, about a month ago -- he is 9wks now.  He is a thrill to be around and we are enjoying him very much.  He has a few problems that we are working on (trying to eat the cat's poop out of the litter box, chewing ANYTHING he can get his mouth on, etc) but what can you say??? He's a pup, and no one is perfect.  I'm sure that with time, patience and work we will all be just fine.

One thing I am concerned about is his weight.  I have never owned a Dobie before, but have had other pups in the past.  Kaiser seems to be much skinnier than the other puppies I have raised.  I know that Dobermans are lean dogs to begin with, but other people have even pointed out that he is very skinny.  We are feeding him the vet recommended amount of food (Eukanuba Lamb & Rice Puppy food) and he has been given a good bill of health by the vet.  Everything about him is normal -- normal food consumption, normal bowel movements, normal energy ... I just think he needs to be fatter. 

Am I wrong about this?  Is it normal to be able to see his ribs at 13 wks?  Should he ever be "fat"?  I just want to make sure that I am doing the best I can for my baby.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Jenn 
Grain-free feeding, selectively vaxing, crate training mama to Keagan, Kiden, Kwellen, Elli, Dals.  And one non-shedding child, Sabine (who doesn't sleep in a crate).

J'embrasse mon chien sur le bouche!

Dogster Pages

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
Re: Dobie Weight
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 07:08:59 am »
A good rule of thumb is this...
If he's eating, drinking and pooping normally, he is healthy. He my be thin now but all puppies grow at different rates. He may gain steady or he might be slow out of the gate and have big growth spurts later. I had worries about my pup Finn too because according to the growth charts he's about 10-15 lbs under weight. BUT he eats well and his weight gain is steady and he's healthy so all is well.
You might want to do some research into his dog food, as a lot of people I have talked to (including my vet) suggest not feeding a food with a high rice or corn content. They tend to be fillers with not much nutritional value. I'm not saying your vet is wrong, just to look into it and discuss it with your vet. Like doctors they tend to suggest you feed what they're selling.

Vicki

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 09:10:16 am »
Welcome to this site!! I don't have a dobie but my husky/shepherd was also a very skinny puppy. People would comment on how skinny she looked too, but the vet assured us that she was healthy. She was just growing fast, and had a super high metabolism. She is 2 now and is at a perfect weight. I wouldn't worry if your vet thinks everything is ok and she is eating well.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

GR8DAME

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 10:42:47 am »
With the larger breeds of dogs, leaner is better than over-weight, it's easier on their joints, and promotes slower growth which decreases the chances of growth-involved problems like HOD and panosteoitis. I agree with Vickie, if he's normal in every other way, he's healthy. Also look at his eyes-(bright & alert) and coat condition (shiney and supple or dull and brittle?), they tell you alot about basic health too. All of this info came from our vets when I was concerned about my dane puppy, who is now 3 1/2 and still thin, but eats everything in sight and is super active and healthy.
Stella

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 02:26:35 pm »
I have a dobie and he looked a little on the thin side when he was that age, nothing to be concerned about as long as he is eating, drinking and acting normal.  Please share some pics, I am a Dobie fanatic.

nickerbokker

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 02:36:54 pm »
HI THERE

everyone that we ever came in contact with us was SURE that i was abusing and not feeding my dog.  the little thing was the 2nd to smallest and was skinny skinny skinny....and has stayed that way.  my "vet" says it is good, especially since his hips are crap, so hopefully everything is okay in there.  he eats well, sleeps well, craps well, drinks well, and PLAYS HARD....so he seems to be happy enough.  although, i still get those "we should call the animal control on her for not feeding that poor little thing" look all the time.  just tell people to mind their business lol. 

i can't wait to see pix!  you MUST post them!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 03:45:30 pm »
Hi there and welcome. First Id like to say that we love to see pics here  ::)

I agree with the others, it is better to stay on the thin side than on the heavy side when you are a big or giant breed. It is way better if they grow in a steady and little slower rate then too fast, they will get however big they were meant to be anyway, that is determined by genetics.

Different food can play a roll though, I know that a lot of people like to feed lamb and rice, but if you think that he could weigh a little more, maybe you could try another food just to see if that works any better. Also the recommended cups per day on the bags, are good to have as a general idea, but all dogs are individuals, and maybe he is just one of them who need a little more. Since you have been to the vet, I am sure they took a fecal test, so he has no parasites, that can also be a reason why he isnt putting on wheight.

But if he is a happy puppy, stomach fine and the vet says he is okay, I wouldnt worry, they are just like us people, some of us can eat and eat and not put on weight, others like me have to watch every little thing we eat or we'd be rolling along. If you want to do anything, I would probably try another food just to see. Good Luck and please please post a pic or two for us to awwww over

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 03:13:14 pm »
Ohhhh my gosh, he is soooo cute, and just look at those legs and paws. He's got a lot to grow into. You know it is hard, to ignore, but as long as you know you take care of him, the vet says there is nothing wrong with him, you hold your head up high and let them think whatever they want to think. Or when you hear a snotty comment, turn to them and ask "sooooo what do you suggest?" If they have any suggestions at all, it will most likely be all the tings you have already checked and done, so you telll them, nope... done that and does not help, do you have anyting else to suggest, maybe something my vet. failed to mention!!!!!!!

Personally I dont have any BARF experiences. I feed a dog food called Eagle Pack, it has a nice amount of energy without pushing the protein up, which is so common that if you look for a food with higher energy you automatically get super high protein, and that will only make him grow faster, and that is the last thing you want, both for his joints and he will probably slim down even more then. I like that food and Galahad is great on it, but there are several very good dogfood out there with not too hight protein. There are people on here though, that feed BARF or have had previous experience. we have a BARF thread somewhere, where I think you can find some information.

Good Luck and keep us updated and hey..... lots and lots of pics of that handsome boy of yours

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline littlelaurie

• Gnawer
  • My boy, "Duke", aka, "Boooofis"!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 12:52:46 am »
 Eukanuba is not a good food.  Good Dobie foods: Eagle Pack, Canidae, Solid Gold, Wellness and Blue Buffalo, to name a few...

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 04:53:05 pm »
My Dobies do very well on Iams.

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 07:45:04 pm »
I don't know about male dogs, but Betti came to us extremely malnourished.  She had a serious anal gland infection and needed antibiotics (her butt really stank).  Anyway, I thought she would gain weight after clearing that up, but then she started having serious ear trouble...I know your pup does not have any of these, but in the end I started feeding Betti Nutro Natural Choice High Energy, because she seemed so restless and she just wasn't gaining weight.  I felt that same way when we went out in public....peop le were staring and I told them that we rescued her from a neglectful situation. 

Come to find out she had an E-coli infection in her urinary tract.  While it was no threat to us, or the other dogs, the bacteria from the anal gland infection spread to her UT.  Until that was cleared up with a special diet, she continued to have some potty issues and, finally, she is as good as ever and off of the prescription diet.  She has gained at least five to seven pounds.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline cubes

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 08:04:56 pm »
my dobie is almost 3 he is a male, i belive the corect weight for him is 30 40k at the moment he is only 34k and you can see his back ribs witch i belive to be fine, he is very active and reguler with his poop, the world would be boring if they was all the same, when he was a young boy he was skinny as heck, i am sure you are doing everything correct, if you want your dog to put on weight you could try tripe, but it may be a little rich for your dobie if he is used to dry foods, i wish you luck, and assure you from what you have written the your dobie is in good health
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 08:11:17 pm by Jacksmom »

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 08:58:25 pm »
My 2 yr old Sasha is about 27 1/2 inches at the shoulder and weighs right around 65 lb.  She used to look downright skinny, but she is at a really good weight now.  Darmok is 26 1/2 inches tall and weighs between 80 - 85 lb. She is a bulky girl, but has a really big frame.  She probably should lose 5 - 8 lb, but she is LOVES to eat, and doesnt care much for running. I have to monitor and measure her food and make sure that she doesnt eat hers, then run over to finish up Sasha's, too! Sasha runs like a deer, and jumps like a gazelle!
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.