Author Topic: Into Week 7 with Barkley  (Read 11831 times)

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
Into Week 7 with Barkley
« on: May 07, 2006, 05:28:59 pm »
Had our usual vet visit on Friday evening.  The increased prednozone is helping the glands to maintain their size now but didn't shrink them this week.  :-\

His appetite is still very large, but his muscle mass is really going.  The prednozone has that effect on the muscles.  We have to help him to get his hind quarters up off the floor now ... we've always had rubber runners and rubber backed mats for him, but now even those don't help.  Once he's up, he's fine ... it's just the getting up.

And last night he had an bowel accident in the basement overnight.  God bless him ... he's so considerate.  He goes to the blanket and does it there so it's not hard to scoop out of the house.

This might sound crazy but I had said to him in the very early days of this diagnosis to give me kisses on the face when he felt it was time.  Barkley has never been a kisser.  Last night he gave me a little lick on the face when we were laying on the rug.

Please tell me this is just a bad day.  My heart is heavy today looking at him.   :'(
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Into Week 7 with Barkley
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 05:33:54 pm »
Myself and Angus send all our best wishes to you and Barkley. I hope he starts feeling and has a good day today.

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 05:36:29 pm »
 :'( Thank you so much for keeping us posted, I was thinking about you two this past weekend.. Your both in our thoughts and prayers
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 07:35:52 pm »
The two of you were on my mind and thus in my prayers a lot yesterday.  I'm so sorry to hear that he seems to be worsening!  As hard as it is, it does sound like the time is really drawing near.  I'll be keeping you all in my prayers that it would be clear to you that he is either improving to hold on longer or that you know that it is time. 
Daphne

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 09:05:07 pm »
I am so sorry.  I do hope he has a good day today.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

k2campbell

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 09:16:31 pm »
I am very sorry to hear about Barkley not feeling so well.  Maybe the kiss was his way of telling you.  As sad as it is - what an amazing animal for letting you know just as you asked him too.  I truly do believe in that kind of thing - you do not sound crazy at all!

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Barkley :-*

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 09:23:14 pm »
I'm so sorry he's having a hard time. You are in my thoughts often since I lost my last dog to Canine Lymphoma so I know a lot of what you're going through and I remember how hard it was. The one thing I can say, and maybe others will have different experiences, when it is time you will just know. For me it was a feeling in my gut and it was so powerful I had no doubts about it at all and never have. Watch his eyes. For me, that's how my Kerry let me know. Something just went out of them and I just knew it was time to let him go. Barkley will let you know when he is ready, have faith in that. You are in my thoughts and prayers, I'm hoping so hard that he has a better day today. Hugs and slobbery Sadie kisses to you and your boy.
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 09:39:44 pm »
My heart goes out to you and Barkley.  We went through this two years ago and it's not an easy road.   Hope Barkley has some very good days.  Let that boy do and eat anything he want's to.  Give him chocolate, sweets anything his big ole heart desires.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 10:21:01 pm »
You and Barkley are in our thoughts.  I hope he has a good day today.  We're sending good thoughts and prayers.

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 10:21:11 pm »
I'm very sorry that Barkley is not doing well.  How is his personality does he appear to be in pain, or annoyed with himself?  I agree with MomtoSadie - at the right point I think we just know what we need to do for our beloved friends. 

Barkley and the rest of your family will be in my thoughts today.

DakotaMom

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 10:34:44 pm »
I am so sorry to read about Barkley. It is such a hard thing for us to see them failing. I hope he was just having a bad day.

Someone on one of my Lab lists always tells people that it is better to be a day to early than a day to late. I'm sure you will see his signs when he is ready and we will be here for you when that time comes.

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2006, 11:13:46 pm »
I'm very sorry that Barkley is not doing well.  How is his personality does he appear to be in pain, or annoyed with himself?  I agree with MomtoSadie - at the right point I think we just know what we need to do for our beloved friends. 

Barkley and the rest of your family will be in my thoughts today.

His personality is still his same old goofy self!  He doesn't appear to be in any pain, although he's also very very stoic (sp?) so sometimes it's hard to tell.  That's why I take him to the vet every week.  I want to be sure that I'm not just getting used to seeing him and starting to overlook signs.

His eyes are still bright and good.  It's coming near the end, I know, but I don't think we're right there yet.  Oh today is just a bad bad day for me (I'm at work....he's home basking in the sunshine) I know.  I think my heart is getting ready.  My husband is still completely in denial about the whole thing.  You guys are amazing ... thank you all.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 11:15:20 pm by BarkleysMum »
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 12:56:22 am »
*hugz* to you and Barkley . I had a Siberian Husky for 6 years , he became so sick with Chronic Pneumonia and Chronic Bronchitus , that we were in your shoes . Although he was so sick , we had him on meds , etc ... Ack , I'm getting all choked up now . What I'm trying to say is , I was so scared to make him suffer but at the same time I most definetaly didn't want to make the choice too soon , but there was just one day when I just knew . He didn't want to go outside , he just layed by himself , that sparkle was gone from his eye .
I am not trying to depress you , I just want you to know that you WILL know when it's time . Barkley will let you know . And if you're still having second thoughts , come on here and everyone will help back you up , k ? We love you two !
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 01:30:40 am »
I just got back from being gone for two weeks... and I can't tell how many times I wondered about you and Barkley.  I'm sorry he's starting to slide!!   I agree with everybody else that you will just know when it is time;  but it is just so d**n hard to lose someone you love SO much.  Please know how much we care and are with you all the way! 

Hugs and drools to you and Barkley!!!

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 09:02:46 am »
 :'(
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead