Author Topic: Need your opinion.  (Read 12407 times)

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
Re: Need your opinion.
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2006, 01:08:43 pm »
thanks, I'm glad you liked it.  I could spend hours and hours creating stuff like that.  I always do better when somebody gives me an assignment -- it was fun.
Sarah

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2006, 01:35:12 pm »
that's a cool block!!!   I have another version of this page made but not saved right.  It's a page curl with a pink color with their names on it and I plugged the pictures into the corner.  But I like that box better.  :)
Lady's picture is of her in my flowerbed...in the daylillies she likes to crush but i do have others that make that more clear.  I think I will undo the text box blogs.  It's a cute idea for a scrapbook...bu t too much to look at on the web.  I agree with you there.
Thanks
Lins, page curl may be a bit too 80's. A nice drop shadow looks good around pictures.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2006, 02:14:04 pm »
thanks, I'm glad you liked it.  I could spend hours and hours creating stuff like that.  I always do better when somebody gives me an assignment -- it was fun.

I do that too ... i'm better with assignments.  :)  It was great! 

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2006, 02:14:56 pm »
that's a cool block!!!   I have another version of this page made but not saved right.  It's a page curl with a pink color with their names on it and I plugged the pictures into the corner.  But I like that box better.  :)
Lady's picture is of her in my flowerbed...in the daylillies she likes to crush but i do have others that make that more clear.  I think I will undo the text box blogs.  It's a cute idea for a scrapbook...bu t too much to look at on the web.  I agree with you there.
Thanks
Lins, page curl may be a bit too 80's. A nice drop shadow looks good around pictures.

LOL!  HAHAHAHHA!  That is too funny!  I have a ton of drop shadow graphics.  :) 

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2006, 03:01:34 pm »
Aha! Something I know a bit about besides dogs... LOL

First off, good for you for pursuing something you enjoy. Photography can be a difficult business to break into, but making the decision to do it is a big deal. Way to go. :)

Secondly, I would make your website as uncrowded as you can while still drawing in attention. For example, your galleries for each type of photography (portrait, family, kids, pets, weddings, whatever your headings) really do not have to be all that large. Even something as small as 6-10 well-chosen photos will do. You will want to keep printed portfolios to show interested clients when you first meet with them. These will expand upon what is on your website.

If you can find a photographer to apprentice with, try that. Consider what kind of pet photography you want to do-more photojournalis tic, casual shots or shots in a studio. Your equipment needs will vary depending on what you are aiming for. Try offering your services to family and friends at discounted rates in exchange for them signing waivers so that you may use the photos of them on your website.

I work a "regular" job and do photography on the side. I mostly work for friends and slowed down quite a bit this past year when I was meaning to pick it up due to job duties for my company. Things are picking up now, though-baby shots, pregnancies, a wedding, a quincinera, etc-which I am excited about. I haven't been pursuing clients as I should have, and the jobs that have come up lately (by referral and people seeing my work) have reminded me how much I love it and want to take it on as my full-time job. To do that, I need to work on the business end. While photography is about pictures, a successful photography business requires more work on the business end.

Also, be sure to consider that weddings and other events are not just one-day assignments. Photos must be sifted through, reviewed, touched up, etc. There are several meetings with clients to factor in as well. This is why you don't receive your wedding photos until weeks or months after your wedding (depending on your photographer's queue).

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2006, 05:07:50 pm »
everyone here has really given a lot of insight.  and it's helped immensely. 

1.) i'd do more of the casual thing since i don't have a studio and people like casual shots more i think. 
2.) i have bribed family for baby pics and stuff to use. 
3.) i may call that pet person in town and get an "apprentiship" so to speak if she'll have me.
Planning is the hardest part...but it all seems straight in my head till someone thinks of something I didn't. 
My portofolio is big.  How big should the portfolio shots be?  4x6, 5x7, 8x10? 
I hope this all pans out.  I am more of a creative person then the office cube type and it seems like it's time to do something more than sit on my butt doing what i'm doing.