Author Topic: Need your opinion.  (Read 12370 times)

lins_saving_grace

Re: Need your opinion.
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2006, 12:22:50 pm »
HTML?  no ... I wanted to get the basic plan laid out first...with where I wanted to place things (and now where I want to add "Click" things to contact or move to other pages.
I was going to call Sam's Club...they do web hosting/designing for a minimal fee and they send you disks for designing and I'm assuming using the correct sizes and colors, etc. I'm gonna call them before the end of the week to get details. 
But I agree.  I too hate hard to navigate web sites.  I figured clicking on pictures would be easy.  I had the idea to add sound to the pics (of course a bark) to clue people into clicking on them to move from place to place. 

Is this kinda user-friendly?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 12:25:44 pm by lins_saving_grace »

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 12:49:51 pm »
for your reading pleasure   ;D

http://psychology.wichita.edu/optimalweb/

http://www.usabilityfirst.com/

http://websitetips.com/usability/

The most fabulous website to learn HTML
http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_intro.asp
They even let you try it yourself.  This is the first place I look if I ever have simple HTML questions.  Its worth going through their course (for free!  always a plus!;) ).  It will teach you all of the basics in easy to understand terms.  If you have any questions on it please let me know I'd be happy to help.

I had to do a bunch of usabilty (making websites user friendly) research for my internship in college. Its really fascinating and you will have an awesome website because of it.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2006, 12:51:39 pm »
Happy reading to me. 

Am I getting in over my head? 

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2006, 12:52:42 pm »
oh yeah and you can also google 'web page templates' and see what is out there for free.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2006, 12:53:59 pm »
I have 2 programs that have web site templates ... but one more or 5 more wouldn't hurt. :)

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2006, 12:55:48 pm »
Happy reading to me. 

Am I getting in over my head? 

LOL no I don't think so. I think if you are really excited about making a webpage you will have a blast doing it.   

And you can always get Microsoft Frontpage and you wouldn't have to learn HTML.   :D   Or use whatever Sam's Club gives you.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2006, 01:03:15 pm »
thanks everyone.  I was starting to wonder if shooting myself in the foot would hurt less.  But I am geeked about it.

cricket36580

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2006, 06:13:43 am »
Sorry, I didn't take the time to read the whole post...However, I gathered you want to build a site?  Have you thought about NetObjects Fusion?  It's supported on all platforms, is very EASY to use, very user friendly...tak es all of 15 min to get the hang of it if you can read.  No HTML code to learn.  Loads of free templates and plug ins.  Just a suggestion...

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2006, 07:23:53 am »
Lin, would this site be mostly a gallery type of approach with a front page with other information, maybe embedded gallery albums behind the front page?

If that is the case, it wouldn't be hard to setup at all, and your hosting services wouldn't have to be anything extravagant or expensive.  A lot of hosts provide auto install scripts for Photo Gallerys, bulletin boards, shopping carts, etc through something called Fantastico.  You can modify the front end for your gallery to meet your demands, and even have other informational pages outside of the regular gallery application pages.

I'd be glad to give you a hand installing server apps, configuring it, etc if you get stuck. 

Brandon
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2006, 07:36:44 am »
Sorry, I didn't take the time to read the whole post...However, I gathered you want to build a site?  Have you thought about NetObjects Fusion?  It's supported on all platforms, is very EASY to use, very user friendly...tak es all of 15 min to get the hang of it if you can read.  No HTML code to learn.  Loads of free templates and plug ins.  Just a suggestion...
you gathered correctly.
is that something I can buy at the store or download that NetObject Fusion? 

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2006, 07:41:19 am »
Lin, would this site be mostly a gallery type of approach with a front page with other information, maybe embedded gallery albums behind the front page?

If that is the case, it wouldn't be hard to setup at all, and your hosting services wouldn't have to be anything extravagant or expensive.  A lot of hosts provide auto install scripts for Photo Gallerys, bulletin boards, shopping carts, etc through something called Fantastico.  You can modify the front end for your gallery to meet your demands, and even have other informational pages outside of the regular gallery application pages.

I'd be glad to give you a hand installing server apps, configuring it, etc if you get stuck. 

Brandon
Yes!  It'll be a gallery kinda thing.  this is just the first page of it.  But after thinking about it on the way to work this morning I thought I'd change the banner on this and call it "The Models" cus Rachel suggested that each page be called something clear and consice.  So this pic will change a little and have little que's to click on and take you to another page like for maybe pics with dog and owner...then to outside shots...etc. etc.   I embedded sound into this page so when the mouse hits the pics of lady and Grace it barks.  I can't hear that till it's published and if I go with a host I'll have to use their programs. 
So...how do I know if what I've designed and will design will be compatible with a hosts programs and if the pics will be visible without distortion?
I may have to call you and Rachel for help...i'm not so computer savey. 
Fantastico...?  I can get to that on the web? 

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2006, 07:52:11 am »
Fantastico is just some script software on your web host that installs programs for you so you don't have to do it manually.  It will install a gallery, a bulletin board, etc.

If you are going to be adding lots and lots of pictures you would want something on the host to handle the pictures, you wouldn't want to have to rebuild web pages and upload them everytime you wanted to add a picture. 

If that is the case, maybe do what your doing for a front end and have links on these front-end pages take you to different albums in your gallery. 
This is what I did for a simple gallery, but did not build any kind of front-end or really make it elaboate, as I only wanted it to share pictures: http://www.haveparrotwilltravel.com
I could edit the gallery templates to make each page look fancier, etc, but just want it simple.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 07:52:41 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2006, 08:15:51 am »
Fantastico is just some script software on your web host that installs programs for you so you don't have to do it manually.  It will install a gallery, a bulletin board, etc.

If you are going to be adding lots and lots of pictures you would want something on the host to handle the pictures, you wouldn't want to have to rebuild web pages and upload them everytime you wanted to add a picture. 

If that is the case, maybe do what your doing for a front end and have links on these front-end pages take you to different albums in your gallery. 
This is what I did for a simple gallery, but did not build any kind of front-end or really make it elaboate, as I only wanted it to share pictures: http://www.haveparrotwilltravel.com
I could edit the gallery templates to make each page look fancier, etc, but just want it simple.

I would update pics once in a while so I would have new ones online all the time and remove old ones.  I want to be "interactive" and up to date.
that's a great web site!   :)  you've been terribly helpful.  I'm gonna start making calls and doing this now.  Yesterday I felt so overwhelmed but you guys have really made it sound easy.  :) :) THANK YOU! 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 08:17:11 am by lins_saving_grace »

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2006, 11:13:58 am »
Suggestion:  Instead of having the narrative in a large font surrounding the photo, make the narrative an easy to read block next to or below the photo and use her name as the background -- using a less contrasting color -- like a watermark.  And, since you're talking about her sitting in your flower bed, try to get a photo of her doing just that!

Sarah

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2006, 01:00:54 pm »
that's a cool block!!!   I have another version of this page made but not saved right.  It's a page curl with a pink color with their names on it and I plugged the pictures into the corner.  But I like that box better.  :)
Lady's picture is of her in my flowerbed...in the daylillies she likes to crush but i do have others that make that more clear.  I think I will undo the text box blogs.  It's a cute idea for a scrapbook...bu t too much to look at on the web.  I agree with you there.
Thanks