Quick Reference Guide to Common Dog Poisons - Chocolate poisoning, antifreeze, snail bait, grapes and raisins, onions and garlic, and more
Tags: Toxic, List, Reference, Identification, Treatment, Prevention, Food, Poison, Dogs
Dog Poisonings Quick Reference
Some of the most common toxins or poisons for dogs follow below:
Chocolate Poisoning – A Natural Poison in Dogs
Chocolate is Poisonous! Bakers chocolate is the most toxic form but milk chocolate, and even chocolate cake or
"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog." - Unknownice cream in larger amounts can be deadly. For more information about chocolate and it's poisonous nature, follow the link below:
Antifreeze Poisoning – Extremely Toxic to Dogs
Automobile antifreeze is exceptionally lethal to dogs and all animals, even in small amounts such as a few licks. It is particularly dangerous because most dogs enjoy the sweet taste and will not hesitate to try it. Follow the link below for more information:
Onion poisoning is rare but does happen if your dog eats large amounts of it, or sustains regular feeding of onion in small amounts. Onions contain a toxic ingredient called thiosulphate and poisoning occurs in the form of hemolytic anemia, a dangerous condition where the red blood cells burst open throughout the blood stream. Poisoned dogs will have symptoms of gastroenteritis which causes vomiting and diarrhea. Other signs will show in their urine as the red pigment of the blood cells will stain the urine. If your dog shows any sign of this, be sure to discontinue any onion in his or her diet and call your vet.
Much like onions, Garlic contains thiosulphate, the dangerous toxin that poisons dogs. However garlic is also good for dogs in small amounts as it acts as a natural flea repellant. Use garlic in tiny portions and in strict moderation.
Grapes and Raisins
Both grapes and raisins are poisonous to dogs and are potentially fatal if you dog ingests a large amount. For years raisins were actually used as treats for dogs until dogs across the country died and their cases logged into databases. Trends were finally recorded and connections were made. Grape and raisin poisoning develops an acute renal kidney failure which leads to death. The first signs of poisoning occur with a few short hours of ingestions and are vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and dogs become lethargic and subdued. The more the toxins effect their kidneys, the less they produce urine – at which point death follows shortly. If you believe your dog has eaten grapes, call your vet immediately for advice.
Broccoli is not a commonly reported poison however is can be toxic when large amounts are given to dogs. Broccoli contains isothiocyanate, a powerful gastrointestinal irritant and can be very painful. Broccoli in small amounts, less than 5% of a dogs diet, is actually nutritional as the bioflavonoid it contains help prevent cancer.
Snail & Slug Bait or Snail Poison - Extremely Toxic to Dogs
Snail bait is very dangerous and many dogs get stricken with easily as they commonly lick the grass through their curious nature. Snail poison is made with arsenic and metaldehyde, also found in ant poison, insecticides, and weed killers. Signs and symptoms include drooling and thirst, diarrhea, vomiting, and confusion. If you suspect your pet has been poisoned by snail bait, take him or her to the doctor right away – as death is very quick. Even after your dog has been treated, they might still be lethargic for weeks afterward.
Mushrooms can also be poisonous. The most common account of poisoning by mushroom is the Amanita phalloides and is extremely toxic. Symptoms include mild vomiting and diarrhea and can lead to more sever digestive problems, neurological disorders as well as liver disease. Common treatment for mushroom poisoning is to induce vomiting followed with activated charcoal. If your dog thinks he is a cow or something and grazes on grass, be sure to clean the mushrooms of the ground unless you know for sure they are safe.
Believe it or not, turkey skin can be an issue for dogs as it doesn’t digest in dogs and is being linked to causing acute pancreatis in dogs.
Emergency Procedures - What to Do if Your Dog Gets Poisoned
If your pet accidentally ingests any type of natural, plant or chemical poison, call your veterinarian right away for advice. If you suspect your pet has had a particularly lethal amount, take he or she to the vet right away.
Other contacts: You can also try calling your local poison control center.
Alternatively, you can call the National Animal Poison Control Center at:
Easter is quickley approaching! Do you need to find the best in Easter Gift Baskets? Are you looking for the perfect chocolate gift baskets to give away as gifts? No matter what kind of gift basket you are looking for, our website is sure to have the best selection! Check our our unique pet gift baskets!
Big Dog Blog
Do you read the blog?
Visit the new Big Paws Blog and information on new dogs, fashion, show, and more that's new in the dog world. Click here to visit and start reading.
Welcome to Big Paws Only with the best Big Dog Chat and Message Boards. Registration is Quick & Easy, takes only a few seconds, and allows you to view all of the wonderful pictures of our babies, and chat. Posting Pictures is really easy too, and we host them!